Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2010, 20:57   #11
arjan_m
Gets stuck in

MG TF 135

A small example from your page (services.html)

<p class="MsoNormal">
<![if !supportLists]><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;
mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol"><span style="mso-list:Ignore">·<span style="font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 7.0pt; line-height: normal;" class="style7">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</span></span></span><![endif]>
<span style="font-size:10.0pt;" class="style7">
Setting up a new PC/Laptop</span><![if !supportLists]><![endif]></p>

This is typically for websites which have been made with a html-generator.

Between the "p-tags" (<p class="...> is the beginning, </p> is the nd)
theres a lot of things for font size,pt,span etc. But the only thing what this line shows are 8 &nbsp's (no break spaces). So for the same result the following rule would be enough;

<p class="style7">
<font size="4"><b>·&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</b></font>Setting up a new PC/Laptop
</p>

Maybe you will have to adjust the style, for the font, but it does the same.

My third 75:
My Rover 75 1.8 mod topic
Rover 75 1.8 Classic, MidNight Blue, 2002

Current car:
MG TF 135, Antracite (LQW), 2002
arjan_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:59   #12
Andyd358
Posted a thing or two

JAguar X-Type 2.0d Sport

Thanks I will have a look into it cheers for the comments

Going to miss driving it
Andyd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:39   #13
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

Hi Andy,

I hope you don't mind some input?

Looks pretty good although as it is relatively basic it would suggest it is based on a "package" website. This is something that perhaps your target market may not pick up on, however the more experienced internet users would be likely to spot it. Now that is not necessarily a big problem other than you are offering PC services and therefore I feel you should look very professional.

I would also suggest some proof reading as I am sure you are offering data transfer, not "date" transfer and your wording for remote access about codes does not read right (imho).

Under your care packages your wording about being something new for you does not come across too well (as I read it). It sounds like you have just thought ooh, how can I make some additional money? My suggestion would be something like "in response to customer demand I have created a new care package". Something like that anyway

Just trying to help mate but worried I am being too critical and it is only my opinion and I am no expert.....

Anyway, hope it helps.
Good luck with your venture anyway.

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:41   #14
Andyd358
Posted a thing or two

JAguar X-Type 2.0d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekosb View Post
Hi Andy,

I hope you don't mind some input?

Looks pretty good although as it is relatively basic it would suggest it is based on a "package" website. This is something that perhaps your target market may not pick up on, however the more experienced internet users would be likely to spot it. Now that is not necessarily a big problem other than you are offering PC services and therefore I feel you should look very professional.

I would also suggest some proof reading as I am sure you are offering data transfer, not "date" transfer and your wording for remote access about codes does not read right (imho).

Under your care packages your wording about being something new for you does not come across too well (as I read it). It sounds like you have just thought ooh, how can I make some additional money? My suggestion would be something like "in response to customer demand I have created a new care package". Something like that anyway

Just trying to help mate but worried I am being too critical and it is only my opinion and I am no expert.....

Anyway, hope it helps.
Good luck with your venture anyway.

Derek

Derek thanks very much for your input ill sort post haste (my spelling a little rubbish I usually rely on F7 lol)

Going to miss driving it
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:42   #15
Andyd358
Posted a thing or two

JAguar X-Type 2.0d Sport

Mind you the DATE transfer might come in handy if I want to branch out lol

Going to miss driving it
Old 25th September 2010, 19:18   #16
al_dente
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Smile

Hi Andy

Looks good I think. I've had a look through and have a couple of comments...

Have you thought about SEO? If you're not looking to promote your site through search, then that doesn't matter, but if you are, you need to think about this. You could perhaps mention the town or area you're in, then at least there is a chance your site will appear in a 'pc repair [andystown]' search.
There are a couple of useful sites if you want to learn more about this. Try seomoz.org and seobook.com.

Also, another tip - on your contact page, the image in your email address looks weird on my PC. If you've added it to stop spammers from harvesting your email address, it won't work because the mailto link in the code is easily read by email address harvesters. You need to use something like this to stop that: http://www.addressmunger.com/
If you don't the address in the source code, you'll start getting more and more spam.

I think the review on the front page is really good - they're important for building the viewer's confidence in your abilities. You should add lots of these if possible. As well as increasing confidence, you'll get townname keywords on the page for SEO purposes.

Cheers

Al
al_dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 21:16   #17
Wolds_lady_2006
Loves to post

MG ZT

Just another tip or advise...

Some unscrupulous entrepreneurs often put fake qualifications on their sites.... Microsoft run a referral line for worried customers to check out businesses whom claim they are Microsoft authorised, or MCP etc etc...

If you have taken time and spent good money on these certificates, then you obviously wouldn't be bothered with people or Microsoft asking for proof....

Ive known an unnamed forum member undertaking the Job Centre "day crash course in IT" and now he is a Cisco and Microsoft Practitioner.. well on his flyers anyway...lol

good luck
Wolds_lady_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote