Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2013, 20:26   #1
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Default Short circuit on brake light

The led brake light on my ztt has just to come on all the time but the other brake lights are all okay. I have disconnected this brake light for now.

Is there a wiring diagram any where so I can trace the wire in the car to either re-wire the light or sort out the problem.

Thanks in advance
kmtranter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 01:06   #2
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Just looked up the wiring diagram, the brake lights are on a switched supply from the LSM (light switch module).

The high-level is on a separate supply which goes through a 'Switch-Choke' - not entirely sure what this is for.

I'm not familiar with the tourer version of the 75/ZT as mine's a saloon. But as far as I can tell it's either a faulty LSM, or a supply is somehow getting onto the Blue/Purple wire which supplies the high-level brake light.

If the high-level brake light is mounted on the tailgate on tourers (which I think it is), then I'd start by checking to see if the wiring is chaffed where it comes through the rubber grommet to the tailgate, this was common on Rover 25/MG ZRs, although I haven't heard of it on a 75/ZT, but I guess it's possible.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 07:30   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I had an issue with my high level brake light and traced it to a connector in the n/s/r panel near to the light unit. You can just about get to it by removing the top trim. I removed the connector and hard wired the wiring ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359099042.068227.jpg

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 21:02   #4
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

After looking at the high level brake light it looks like a problem with the connector on the circuit board. The way the kids close the rear glass panel can be too hard and the vibrations have caused the dislodging of the connector, when the connector was taken out and cleaned the brake light appears to work fine.
kmtranter is offline   Reply With Quote