Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2010, 19:46   #1
rotrex
Passed Away

mg zt cdti se 150+. mg ztt 190 lpg. rover 75 cdt club se.

Default buyers beware, rover 75 cdt auto

hi folks.
I dont know if this is right place to put this. just want to warn any folk out there shopping for an auto cdt.
a friend of mine is looking for a good sensibly priced cdt auto for his dad who is retired, anyway to get to the point he looked on a/trader, low and behold there is one 15mls away {perfect} now its more £££ than his dad has to spend, but mate went for a look thinking its near impossible to find such low mls with full history so he would add the extra ££££ and get his dad a good car. he went seen it today and came home livid, as he had spoke to the seller on phone, was told perfect car, full history, immaculate body, ect ect ect. however on inspection it was a red car really badly painted black, seller suddenly cant find history{aye right} has been smashed resulting its a CAT C. at that he had seen enough lol and left, told me seller didnt even feel bad about being{ shall we say economical with the truth} this is why I am posting this here to warn anybody looking.
just imagine for a moment if you had traveled a few hundred mls to se this car based on the sellers add and phone description. or even worse won it on ebay or another Internet site and probably at least pay'd a deposit via card p/pal ect. please read the add and see if it reads like you might have thought it could be a decent car worth traveling to look at had you not read this.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...74lp?logcode=p
buyers beware. I hope this saves someone a long journey to nothing. tam.
rotrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 19:48   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Ummm...I think that is the original paintjob.....that looks kind of reddy, browny black.... Thanks for the heads up nonetheless...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 20:15   #3
rotrex
Passed Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Ummm...I think that is the original paintjob.....that looks kind of reddy, browny black.... Thanks for the heads up nonetheless...
looks decent in the pics eh. mate tels me paint is actualy flaking if where mouldings ect have been painted over without even being properly rubbed down lol. open doors, bonnet ect and its only black on outside, ie not even painted into door seals ect. in short the car is a complete mess compared to the sellers description.now he were honest saying car has been damaged, had a really bad paint job, no history, mls incorrect, price £750 the car might fit someones buget and needs IMO ??
Old 7th November 2010, 20:38   #4
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

to totally change a cars body colour would require hell and all work which for what he is asking in return it not be worth it even if you done yourself.what your mate has seen is where body panels have been replaced ie the bonnet they have used second hand panels in red and only painted the out side.that just shouts bodge if you are painting a bonnet it would no take much to blow over the under side as well even if it was not perfect as you would not see most of it anyway shame looked nice in the photos
Old 7th November 2010, 20:45   #5
rotrex
Passed Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
to totally change a cars body colour would require hell and all work which for what he is asking in return it not be worth it even if you done yourself.what your mate has seen is where body panels have been replaced ie the bonnet they have used second hand panels in red and only painted the out side.that just shouts bodge if you are painting a bonnet it would no take much to blow over the under side as well even if it was not perfect as you would not see most of it anyway shame looked nice in the photos
no no its a red car painted black. anyway the point was its not a good car like advert said.

Last edited by rotrex; 7th November 2010 at 20:48..
Old 7th November 2010, 21:18   #6
Demon
Loves to post

BMW E92 325i Coupe & BMW E61 525i Auto Touring (Formerly ZT 190SE, ZT+ CDTi & 75 2.0 V6 Club SE)

I went to see a 75 CDT with my father earlier this year which despite high miles was still advertised surprisingly cheap... found out why when we got there - it had been born Zircon Silver but one of the previous owners had taken a shine to Odyssey Blue... but not enough of a shine to make them want to pay for enough paint to cover the whole car OR to have it sprayed professionally, quite a mess in parts. The car also refused to go into fifth gear (something the owners claimed to be oblivious to...), which didn't help its cause
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 21:24   #7
rotrex
Passed Away

its infuriating when sellers are deliberately economical with the truth, with no regard to folks having in some cases traveled hundreds of mls to see a car they obviously wont buy when truth is revealed
Old 7th November 2010, 21:34   #8
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

gets you like that i can totally see your point its clearly a lemon

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 22:15   #9
rotrex
Passed Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark d3 View Post
gets you like that i can totally see your point its clearly a lemon
yes, one of the worst out there probably, thats why I felt it was right to warn folk
Old 7th November 2010, 22:38   #10
Little-George
Avid contributor

75 Facelift Diesel 04, Auto Saloon Campaign Edition Leather Interior 151k

Same garage with this story. And yes I did have to walk. This is true no word of a lie. Youve got to read all of this.

I left home all smart clean shaven and groomed.
out i went to get to glasgow to see the one in autotrader , a red rover 75. a lift to lochgilphead, a coach ride to glasgow, a train to the suburbs then a cab to the dealer.
He said its having an mot, itll be ready in an hour. This is 1am, I have been on the travel since 7.
At 3 pm he tells me they are putting a ball joint on it, another hour. about 4.30 car pulls in, yep 8 years old and had a smashed lower panel just under the bumper . I test drive it, lovely, then i look and notice the instrument panel isnt working and the aircon jobbie said "err" I tell the guy, he said its a bulb, i tell him its shorted out, he said " ach 2300 take it or leave it." I said Im leaving it mate. he got a bit shirty and said "well what do you expect for 2300". I gave it back and said. A car that works. I was a bit miffed about waiting for 3 and a half hours not to mention 6 hours of travel and he tried to palm me off with a lemon.

Ok so now im going to miss the last train and bus back to lochgilphead or Dalmally.
I start walking around car dealers, who must have shown me every piece of rubbish that they could find to palm off on me. Im talking real rubbish here. Suffice to say I told them im not an idiot and off i went.
I walked about 15 miles around dealers until they all shut at about 7 pm. By now Im sweating hot and with blisters on my feet the size of melons. Limping set in. OK walk to garage and get lucosade. Ahhh refreshment, I open it and half goes out of the bottle all over my shirt. I was glad no one saw, well except for a few teenage girls who thought it was well funny. Street cred totally gone by now.

Ok part two. No way home, Train to glasgow queen street, its now 7.45. I know ill get a hotel and go home in the morning, I saw a travel lodge, I limps in, walk to the counter. snotty NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- looks at me "nay rooms" The fact that he was signing a rather well dressed lady into this 5 mile high hotel didnt make me feel good. So I called him a stuck up.. well you can guess the rest. Talk about first impressions. I had 2700 in my pocket, i wasnt giving him any of that.

Ok so now i think Hostel. Went into a euro hostel. yay rooms, 18 quid, yay ok i said ill have one. she said, can i see photo ID, I was dumbstruck. I said " what you think this country is. Russia" Well I don't and never have carried photo ID.
Ahh well turfed out of a hostel. Now what? there was a beacon of hope on the corner. A tobacconist. Limped over, 20 smokes please. Ahh feel better, nice headspin. Yep im back on the fags again now.
Ok only thing to do now is head south. Glasgow central. walking about 1 mph now feels like im walking on broken glass.
9.30 Night train to london mate? All booked. Ok when is the next one "4 am". OK ill have that , thinking I can sit for 8 hours "147 quid" OK mate when's the one after. "8am" 12 hours? na i dont think I can handle that. Ok mobile battery dead now. Head to queen st, more broken glass. that mile felt like 100s. it really did. Got a night bus to london for 25 quid. Headed to mother in laws, got there at 8 am. 25 hours on the road and I snatched about an hours kip on the bus.

Part 3
saw on the internet a nice rover executive, built in TV white leather the lot. £2000, bargain, only in the next street. I phone him, its for sale " Im watching football mate, can you come round after i get home from work tomorrow?"
sale lost.
3am in the morning, yep still awake. I found a rover, this one, on the internet, in kent. made my way there Yay nice ill have that. I think, for that money a bargain. I insure it on the forecourt with his phone. get AA cover and off I go. well 30 minutes later I came through the dartford tunnel, there was this blue flashing light. youre kidding i thought. its nicked. Nope it showed up as no insurance. gave them the company number all was OK so off i went again. after 3 of them taking themickey out of my new motor. Was funny though.

hows that for a saga,
LG

Last edited by Dragrad; 7th November 2010 at 23:47.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
Little-George is offline   Reply With Quote