Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2017, 06:56   #1
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Out of the cars you ever owned, which was the most problematic in terms of cost and.

Hiya all last night I did topic of this http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=260437

This time this is other, Out of all the cars you ever owned, which was the motors that you regretted buying in the first place? Once that cost a lot too keep and parts hunting.

My dad and I have joined forces too put our cards on the table.

Starting things off with my dad's Range Rover Vogue 3.0L diesel.
He wanted other one again and saw the add for this one, my dad went too look at it and bought her for 4k, she looked good and my dad brought it back, how ever things didn't work out in the end, the 75/ZT was kept busy recurng parents after three break downs, in the end we found in the end that my dad had a bought.

LEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That thing cost him a bomb, plus I did dump so many on the thing as well, only too find that the head was cracked and many parts failure as well.

Next was my dad amption too save a 2.0 16v probe which was a national disaster, my dad bought it knowing full that it wasn't running propyl, how ever in my younger days dad was more then confident too do automotive repairs, long story short it was a real pig so my dad sold it too a female biker covered in tattoos I remember nice girl too, that quickly changed when my dad got letters in the post that saying he was speeding in Manchester doing over 50 in 30mph.
Soon the nice women was called all sorts of names, mainly from me.

Next is my motor the Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 diesel, this was going to be my long range cruiser and me being a ford fan well it had too be a Ford didn't, oh wish I never bought this beep beep beep a load of beep beep, yeah that's how much I hated the thing after it cost me over 1500 to try and save the thing.
In the end the engine was dead and gave up on it and it went too the scrap yard best derision I made watching that thing get destroyed.

It was thanks too this destruction that my 75/ZT came into my life and that's been a hard jouney in its self as most of you will know, but still she lives on.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 08:08   #2
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

Citroen c4 grand picasso. £5k, 61k miles and fsh when bought. Scrapped at 88k miles with a blown turbo which would have cost £2.5k to repair and they still couldn't warranty. Constant error codes. Dropped about £1k on a wiring fault and egr repair, also did tyres, alternator, battery, injector seals etc etc etc and more I can't recall. Got £300 scrap for it.

Steaming pile of manure, won't buy a citroen ever again.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 20th January 2017, 08:30   #3
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
Citroen c4 grand picasso. £5k, 61k miles and fsh when bought. Scrapped at 88k miles with a blown turbo which would have cost £2.5k to repair and they still couldn't warranty. Constant error codes. Dropped about £1k on a wiring fault and egr repair, also did tyres, alternator, battery, injector seals etc etc etc and more I can't recall. Got £300 scrap for it.

Steaming pile of manure, won't buy a citroen ever again.

Jesus H Christ you spent a lot on it, sounds like it was a pig from start too finish, I would have lost my rag and push it off a cliff, the fastest its ever gone since leaving the production line.

I'll never buy a French car, I just tend too buy cars that rust like Fords. still I can't help it.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 20th January 2017, 09:03   #4
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

The worst thing I ever bought was a '95 Discovery 300tdi What a pile of pooh!
To be honest, I didn't spend too much on it because we only had it 6 months, hated every inch of that car. Slow, expensive and clumsy........horrible thing it was.
Bought it because we'd had Defenders before and thought we'd go for a bit more luxury.......give me a Defender any day

Close second was a Peugeot 405 estate, not a bad car really but it suffered HGF and that cost nearly £800 to sort Got rid soon after

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 09:10   #5
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
The worst thing I ever bought was a '95 Discovery 300tdi What a pile of pooh!
To be honest, I didn't spend too much on it because we only had it 6 months, hated every inch of that car. Slow, expensive and clumsy........horrible thing it was.
Bought it because we'd had Defenders before and thought we'd go for a bit more luxury.......give me a Defender any day

Close second was a Peugeot 405 estate, not a bad car really but it suffered HGF and that cost nearly £800 to sort Got rid soon after
My dad had two of them, one was ok and other suffered a complete electrical failure on all electronics.

my dad's a fan of Land Rover back in the day, but the discovery ranks the worst of the bunch, he had a classic range rover and that wasn't too bad at all, got a photo here of the one I bought as a project.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 20th January 2017 at 09:12..
Old 20th January 2017, 11:20   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Not a car but a bike, the Honda FT500. Liked big single cylinders, the FT500 came out early '80s, liked the look of it, bought one.

Turned out to be gutless, underpowered, even a high flow air filter and associated carb modifications did nothing, induction noise was impressive though! You could see the black chrome exhaust rusting as you looked at it! The starter was a major weak point, electric start only and it kept breaking a small cast part in the starter mechanism. When the part broke to start the thing you had to leave a small plate off and use your finger to move the shaft and engage the gear on the starter motor! Needless to say I didn't keep it for long.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 10:56   #7
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
Jesus H Christ you spent a lot on it, sounds like it was a pig from start too finish, I would have lost my rag and push it off a cliff, the fastest its ever gone since leaving the production line.

I'll never buy a French car, I just tend too buy cars that rust like Fords. still I can't help it.
Yup, only got 18months out of it. We had a very good experience with a 405 diesel previously so won't condemn all french cars, but the newer HDI diesels (also in some fords as well as citroens and peugeots) don't seem the most reliable and are stifled by all the emissions requirements these days.

At least the cars you're showing are interesting; ours was just meant to be a reliable workhorse with 7 seats.

The good point about the citroen is it make the 75 look very cheap to run!

Old 26th January 2017, 21:35   #8
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

VW Passat GL5 estate. It had the Audi 5-cylinder engine, which would just cut out when the engine was at full temperature. Long journeys were a nightmare, with stops every 30 odd miles. I was well rid of it
Old 26th January 2017, 15:03   #9
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

This 1.8 tourer.

Miniscule miles, immaculate inside and out - mechanically awful.

Multiple HGF - this was the car that finally made me promise never to buy another 1.8 again.

It wasn't the first 1.8 to have HGF that I'd owned, but it just kept letting me down so in the end I gave it to my brother

Lovely car, would have been fantastic if it could be relied on to get you where you wanted to go without the help of the RAC's breakdown fleet
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 18:32   #10
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

My current diesel 75.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote