Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th February 2017, 14:45   #1
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Default T series into zt/ mg6

As in the title really, I'm looking into swapping the k1.8 for a t series turbo, firstly to test the theory in a zt, but later on an mg6..
i have a zt turbo car complete, a v6 gearbox, a t engine and turbo, and this week bought a 1.8t flywheel and clutch to sus out requirements.
What have I learnt so far?
The k flywheel doesnt fit the t ( knew this allready)
The k flywheel has a different timing tooth pattern to the kv6, as well as a different diameter tooth dia.
Coupled with this tooth diameter thing - does this mean the timing pickup sensor is different? Will check part Nos, but either it is or the casing moves it in or out.
Also related, and the reason the k18 starter doesnt hit the timing teeth, is that the k18 starter comes from the engine side, opposite to the v6.
The t series fly/starter ring is the same dia and tooth pattern as the k18.
The solid flywheel, not suprisingly, is a lot shorter than the k18, (don't know about the v6), this means the clutch plate is only half on the gearbox input shaft splines.
Three of the engine to gearbox mounting bolts line up (this is the main reason to use the v6 box).

More info added as it comes to me, however, i could do with some more bits to gather further info if anyone feels like helping:
I could do with a v6 flywheel and clutch cover - scrap one would do.
With an eye to the second phase of this i could do with an mg6 flywheel.
A zt v6 starter - I will buy this on ebay, plenty on there.

For now i need to somehow space out the clutch - maybe use a v6 fly? But this would need a k18 timing tooth pattern cut into it - on a smaller pcd.
I also need to work out where the teeth are relative to the sensor at tdc- since the engine, box and fly are different it might mean what the k 18 ecu thinks is 40 deg btdc is actually 5 degrees?
I'm also considering making a disc for the front pulley so I can forget about the bellhousing teeth, either that or machining a new set further in where they don't conflict with the starter motor.
At this moment it looks like a v6 fly with new teeth or a whole new fly machined from billet, which would also need a smaller set of timing teeth.
Huw
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote