Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th April 2017, 23:04   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default Kv6 oil leak

Been trying to get my unlicensed doer upper rover 75 re registered and sorted out everything the examiners asked to be rectified ( lower engine mount ,l/h wishbone and bush etc) but having an issue with a persistent small oil leak which
seems to be accumulating at the bottom of the bell housing where the auto transmission bolts to the engine.
My mechanic mate reckons it could be the rear main seal (which is expensive to fix) and probably not worth doing.
It's only a slight leak, clean it off but when the car has sat overnight there will a drop sitting on the bottom of the housing next day.
The examiner seems to be a right pain re this now and seems to have now made it his mission to knock the car back on this issue.
As the car had been sitting still some 12 months, my mechanic suggested trying a engine seal conditioner as the seal may have just dried out.
Is the kv6 known to have an issue with rear main seals or could be somthing else ?
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 08:49   #2
Imm75
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi,
Could be camshaft seals from blocked breathers, I had a leak from the rear camshaft seal dripping onto lower part of engine. Changed the seal, still leaked, changed it again and changed the breather pipes and wire mesh filter and cleaned the pin holes in the cam cover and all ok now.
Imm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 10:14   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Is the kv6 known to have an issue with rear main seals ...
No Peter. Imran has a very good suggestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm75 View Post
... changed the breather pipes and wire mesh filter and cleaned the pin holes in the cam cover and all ok now.
If your crankcase breather is completely blocked (which is a real possibility) then the pressure will try to force oil out wherever it can.

Simon
Old 27th April 2017, 10:42   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Did check the front breathers and the one under the rear vis and cleaned them out but they appears ok.
Cant get to the one under the rear on the battery side.
I have put a rear seal sealer oil additive in the oil called Rislone yesterday and low and behold the leak seems to have stopped even only after driving about 40km.
This product works by softening and swelling rubber seals, camshaft, rear mains etc and it appears to work.
As the car had been standing for about 12 months prior to me purchasing it, my mechanic reckons some of the seals may have dried out and being I have been quoted $1,000aud to replace the seal he reckoned it was worth a go.
It's going back to the vehicle examiners tomorrow morning re the oil leaks, still looks nice and clean with no leaks under there at the moment and I've been driving it all day so here's hoping !!
Old 27th April 2017, 20:53   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Been thinking as all my (4) kv6 engines seem to have minor oil leaks, mostly all the same spot (rear main seal area) I'm wondering if a small dose of this stuff might be good? Reality is after 15 odd years the rubver seals in these cars must be getting hard .
Did a bit of reading and seems some people have used this product at every oil change for years
Old 28th April 2017, 08:33   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Took the car back today but took it to another examiner.
Had a look under the car, dry as a bone, not a sign of a leak, passed and re registered!!!
By geez that Rislone additive is damn good and quick to work.
Could have been that the seals were a bit dry from the car being parked for 12 months and the additive did the job, softening them up.
The original leak wasn't really bad, a few drips a day but annoying .
Be interesting to see how long it lasts, reading a few reviews, one guy used it 4 years ago and it's still not leaking. Time will tell!!
Old 28th April 2017, 08:39   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
The original leak wasn't really bad, a few drips a day but annoying .
The rules in Australia are stricter than ours. A very minor oil leak like that might result in an 'advisory' notice but not a failure of the test.

I'm glad that you've got it sorted.

Simon
Old 29th April 2017, 03:33   #8
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Fortunately here in the west we don't have any requirement to have our cars over the pits every year, unlike our eastern states cousins who have a system similar to your Mot yearly inspections.
Here,Its either registered and you just keep renewing the registration or if it becomes unregistered or unroadworthy in the laws eyes you need a full inspection to re reigister it.
There's good and bad to that I suppose but due to the physical size of our state
(Largest single state in the world area wise) the logistics of having inspection places and qualified people in some of the remote places would be a nightmare