Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th April 2017, 22:27   #91
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Well Jim, my Grandfather was an American and I have an uncle who still lives in the U.S, so I am entitled to have a laugh at my Yankee side. I rather like your last paragraph, it did put a smile on my face tonight You must have a treasure trove of experiences, good and bad. Maybe some you could not possibly ever share on the Internet. Your maritime photos all tell their own story. Thank you for posting them up.
Yes Philip, there were many good times, some bad times, some terrifying times, and the times that have never been, or ever will be, spoken about.

My first trip to sea was almost my last, as we went to a terminal in Iran called Bandar Mashur. The following images from the late 1960's show why. I was horrified to see parts of a ship lying on the beach opposite the berth.

All I knew at the time was that it was the remains of a tanker that blew up in 1965.

I just found the pictures again recently amongst the rest of the clutter, and they are not very good. They do illustrate the point though.

I had a search on the internet to try and find out more of what had happened.

I did find out that she was an Italian tanker called "Luisa", and was built in 1961 by Ansaldo, Genoa. She was very advanced for the time.

On the 5th June 1965 the cargo loading was almost complete, when there was an explosion in the boiler room. The ship caught fire and a veritable inferno ensued, with flames shooting 260 feet into the air.

The Captain managed to manoeuvre the ship off the berth, and prevented the fire from spreading to the shore installation. As the ship moved into the channel, she listed over and the flaming oil poured into the sea. Thirty-two of the forty-one man crew perished. It was amazing that anyone could survive that. In October of the same year, Brodospas of Split, cut the ship into sections and dragged them onto the beach. She was left there, apparently as a warning.

Not a nice sight when you are loading 36,000 tons of crude in a steam tanker!
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 11:32   #92
Fifer
Gets stuck in

The previous post was my first visit to an oil terminal in the Gulf. This one was the last visit, an offshore loading terminal at Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia, in 1974. Each terminal could accommodate six VLCCs. (Very Large Crude Carriers)

The ship was the Texaco Spain, the flagship at the time, 277,000 tons and 32,000 SHP. I stood by her building at the ASTANO shipyard in Spain, did the trials and the maiden voyage to Ras Tanura, then to Pointe a Pierre in Trinidad. For the joggers, twice round the deck was a mile.

My last view of the Texaco Spain, lightship after discharge at Pointe a Pierre.

Scanned from slides. The slide film at the time seemed very grainy compared with ordinary colour negative film.
Old 7th May 2017, 01:35   #93
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Some slides from 1983.

We wait in line for permission to head upriver fom Coatzacoalcos to Nanchital. The road and rail lift bridge, Puente Coatzacoalcos 1, opens once a day to allow river traffic up and down river. Built in 1962 the lift bridge is quite unusual. Ahead of us are some supply boats going to Nanchital for cement.

On this occasion there is a power boat race underway.

Coatzacoalcos River, Mexico.
Old 9th May 2017, 23:55   #94
Fifer
Gets stuck in

The Blue Funnel Line ships always looked smart, and as we were heading west we saw "Peisander" heading east. The "P Class" ships had lovely lines.

1974, South African Coast.
Old 10th May 2017, 00:35   #95
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Sorry guys but there are only 2 kinds of ships ... Submarines and targets And yes i've heard all the Rubber suit jokes you could ever think of

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 02:22   #96
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

Sorry guys but there are only 2 kinds of ships ... Submarines and targets And yes i've heard all the Rubber suit jokes you could ever think of
Yes, there are many "rubber suit" jokes, but few that would be suitable for these pages.

It is unusual to call a submarine a ship is it not? Historically they have always been referred to as "boats". I got my knuckles rapped for calling the first submarine I worked on at Rosyth a ship.
Old 10th May 2017, 07:56   #97
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I used the term so that i wouldn't get criticised for calling the ships boats as i didn't think there would be many that would know the naval terminology

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 15:10   #98
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Another ship with nice lines was the Kungsholm.

MV Kungsholm was built in 1966 by the John Brown & Company shipyard in Clydebank, Scotland as a combined ocean liner / cruise ship for the Swedish American Line. The ship had a long life, and sailed under a few names and operators. From 1966—1979 as Kungsholm, 1979—1995 as Sea Princess, 1995—2002 as Victoria, 2002—2007 as Mona Lisa, 2007—2008 as Oceanic II, 2008—2010 as Mona Lisa, and from 2010 onwards as Veronica.

In 2015 she was sold for scrapping and towed to the ship breaking yard of Alang.

She is seen here beautifully lit up in 1974.
Old 17th May 2017, 12:06   #99
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Oil Refineries can be quite colourful places.

Finisterra on the terminal at Guaymas, and behind her one of the Pemex tankers.

Bunker vessel Tehuacan loading at the terminal.

Guaymas terminal with the power station in the background.

Guaymas terminal with Cumulus clouds.

The jetty at night.

The jetty with flares in the background.

Guaymas, Mexico, 1980.
Old 20th May 2017, 14:19   #100
Fifer
Gets stuck in

The penguins always reminded me of little men in dinner suits, especially when waddling back after being at sea.

Their walk can appear comical, and even more so when in a hurry and striding out.

When people came back from a visit to a colony with a stinking pink mess on their shoes and trouser cuffs, you knew they had got too close. Penguins poop horizontal to the ground, and when someone got too close, they just lifted their tails and shot out the rank pink gunge. The poop was pink after they had been eating krill.

That was not a problem for the sheafbills, as they ate poop and appeared to like the pink variety.

The sheafbill in the middle is just waiting for a tasty treat!

I don't know what this guy was staring at, but it had him captivated.

East Cove, Falkland Islands.