Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th February 2017, 16:33   #21
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Well you've pricked my curiosity about emmissions, and indeed it could possibly be an issue. However what CP has posted are emmissions per km, not mot emmission limits. I can't locate the zt turbos log book and mot cert right now, but the analyzer slip should be in there. In the meantime - anyone with a zt turbo have the numbers?
Thanks again
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 21:23   #22
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Found it CO LT 3.5, HC LT 1200, car is an mgzt turbo. The old 420 shoul walk it, and even if it struggles, adjustable cam timing should do the rest.
Looked up one of the 420 old mots - CO 0.2, HC 1.
Damn strange though, the limits on the 400 printout show Less Than 0.2 for CO, LT 200 for HC, so the older car has stricter emmission regs???

Last edited by minimutly; 12th February 2017 at 21:32..
Old 12th February 2017, 21:24   #23
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Well you've pricked my curiosity about emissions, and indeed it could possibly be an issue. However what CP has posted are emissions per km, not mot emission limits. I can't locate the zt turbos log book and mot cert right now, but the analyzer slip should be in there. In the meantime - anyone with a zt turbo have the numbers?
Thanks again
It may be worth having a quick word with your local friendly MOT Centre and just mention to them what you are planning to do. Sadly I remember the good old days, when you could swop engines into cars and as long as you could make them fit, it wasn't an issue. I fitted a 3 Litre Capri engine into 2000E Corsair, in the early 80's, which was quite fun, as I left it completely stock on the outside, so it did surprise a few people, sadly those days are long gone. Let us know if you do find a way round it though.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 21:36   #24
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Ive seen it all now! Lets fit older design engines in to newer cars as "They were a good engine etc.."
Will have a look in my shed I think Ive got a Rover V8 Buick engine been sat for 40 years under some old carpet etc. Forget advances in technology and the millions of £s on research and development. They know nothing. Shed work screams at me. The mot standards have changed since the pass the bloke a tenner in the pub for a certificate.
If its a T series engine make sure the right side of the head gasket isnt leaking oil like a good un.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 21:41   #25
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

I was going to ask you something Chris, you mentioned that the cat doesnt affect co2, just hc and nox?
Well nox is not an mot tested gas (wrongly, but there we are), also neither is CO2, it's CO. Interestingly, my understanding of a cat is that it converts CO into CO2. lpg incidentally increases Nox....
Well COab, as someone allready mentioned the K was designed in the 80's, so hardly a spring chicken. If its not up to the job thats it - And if you want I'll list its failings in 1.8 turbo form?(thats not to say I think its a pile of poo, I don't. In fact I think it's a marvel of its time, and at 1400, be it wet or damp liner a cracking engine. Also goes to prove that BL's engineers weren't that far out when they penned a 3 cylinder...

Last edited by minimutly; 12th February 2017 at 21:48..
Old 12th February 2017, 21:54   #26
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Good luck to you why not fit the Ford V6 engine? Chain driven, waterpump at the top of the engine and easily capable of 200 bhp with no head gasket or oil issues. No need for a turbo as they pull very well. Look at the ST200 Jaguar fitted them so cant be bad.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 10:07   #27
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
It would seem that you either don't read what I've posted, or you have no knowledge of how the MOT testing system works. Retro fitting an engine into an older vehicle, rarely causes any problems, as invariably the older car will fall into a less strict Co2 category than the engine is being fitted to it. Sadly the reverse is true when fitting an older engine into a newer cat. An MG ZT 1.8T will be rated at 193 g/Km Co2, with the relevant authorities. The 620TI, (which is the engine that the OP is wanting to fit to his ZT,) was rated at 220 g/Km Co2. When the car is hooked up to the MOT system, the car will automatically fail on it's emissions, as it will produce more Co2 emissions than is allowed for that age/model of car. By the way, running a Cat with the engine, will not affect the amount of Co2 that the car produces, as they only lower the levels of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, so my original point is correct and not "rubbish" as you posted earlier.
It's amazing I apologised and you still call me out, fine I stand but what I originally said.

Plus it proves you don't read either my car is an auto and my emissions are much higher than that, 'K' category.

My apologies go to minimutly, sorry about this.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 10:15   #28
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
does declaring an engine change to the DVLA solve this emissions problem though? As there are many MG ZR and MG ZS T16 conversions on the road. There's also a MG ZR 2.5v6 and a MG TF 2.5v6 conversion on the road, both of which would produce higher emissions than their standard 1.8 160 engines? so there must be a way around is as there are newer cars on the road with older engines fitted and passing MOTs, such as 02-04 reg MG ZRs and ZS's with the older T16 turbo engine fitted.
I've fitted newer engines into older cars and older engines into newer cars because I wanted more BHP and yes you do have to inform DVLA of the change but at the time it was based on cubic capacity and not emissions.

Whether this is still the case now, I'm not sure but I will find out as I meet with my Rover/Mg Group every Tuesday night and some of the guys do run more powerful engines in their ZR's.

Last edited by Neil1; 13th February 2017 at 10:28..
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 13:09   #29
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
Ive seen it all now! Lets fit older design engines in to newer cars as "They were a good engine etc.."
Will have a look in my shed I think Ive got a Rover V8 Buick engine been sat for 40 years under some old carpet etc. Forget advances in technology and the millions of £s on research and development. They know nothing. Shed work screams at me. The mot standards have changed since the pass the bloke a tenner in the pub for a certificate.
If its a T series engine make sure the right side of the head gasket isnt leaking oil like a good un.
Perhaps a good reason is that slightly older 'good' engines can actually be disentangled from the donors cars electronics far more easily than modern ones, can also be far easier to get more power from with after market programmable ecu's etc and be cheaper to rebuild to a better spec. As has been mentioned it used to be very easy 20 years ago as all you had to do was tell the DVLA and pass the basic emissions test, it's far harder now and getting the car insured will be more expensive/harder now as well BUT I can see why people would think about it

Save
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 21:29   #30
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Had a think last night on the flywheel issues, the Zt v6 is the same starter tooth profile but thats as far as it gets. It may be that the prima diesel flywheel puts the clutch plate high enough (with a reversed centre clutch), but there is no metal for a reluctor ring. So I'll buy a ztv6 flywheel to see how we get on, it may be just a pattern for a billet steel turning session.