Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th February 2017, 11:51   #1
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Default Any tips for running a 3rd car?

I've only ever owned the one car at a time myself (and SWMBO has hers), but I've noticed many people on here are buying (saving) other cars. I'm open to the idea as it would make sense on many levels: saving another ZT and having a backup car for when one of ours in in the garage/off the road for other reasons, one car for everyday and one for best.

I missed out on Wilfred's ZT-T that was for sale on here the other day, as that was just down the road from me in Rye.... gutted as I'd have loved that.

But what I was wondering is how do people manage the extra costs in these situations... seems to me the extra insurance and road tax would be fairly significant, or are they insured under particularly good value low-mileage policies?
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 12:01   #2
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I insure my Contemporary as a classic and it comes in at £156 a year fully comp with Peter Best. That includes breakdown and agreed value if you want it. Mileage is limited to 3000, but as I have two other cars that isn't an issue. Tax, you can't do anything about, but I pay that monthly so its not such a large outgoing. Its the servicing and repair costs you have to watch - as you can't work those out in advance!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 13:10   #3
JoeMc
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 / BMW E60 M5

My M5 acts as my main insurance, the ZT is on that policy as a 2nd car with a limited mileage of 4k a year.

My 550i tourer will be swapped over onto that policy when I get it back; it's on a sort of 'gap insurance' policy currently with it being worked on

However; it was peanuts to add it on as a 3rd car and we may do this with my wife's Jazz when her policy expires in April/May
JoeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 14:16   #4
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I insure my Contemporary as a classic and it comes in at £156 a year fully comp with Peter Best. That includes breakdown and agreed value if you want it. Mileage is limited to 3000, but as I have two other cars that isn't an issue. Tax, you can't do anything about, but I pay that monthly so its not such a large outgoing. Its the servicing and repair costs you have to watch - as you can't work those out in advance!
That is useful information as I have been thinking of getting an auto saloon as a "Sunday Best" car as although I am retired my Contemporary Tourer is doing 13K+ miles a year
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 14:58   #5
Juego
Gets stuck in

Skoda Superb

I'm now running 3 cars as I pay all the maintenance on my mrs' car plus my own and doing a light restore on the 75 and due 2 tyres on my taxi soon lol, 1200 quid just on the 75! Insurance wise my mrs has her own insurance and I've got my taxi insurance and then also have the 75 insured with more than as I was going to lose my 6 years ncb later this year and didn't want to lose it. Was gonna go with Peter best but it would've meant having to buy and insure another car lol. Peter best will get my business next year as I've now reset my 2 years before I lose my ncb.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 15:48   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

We run four and all are insured seperatly which I find the cheaper. The classic cooper S has been with the same company for over twenty years so I insured the coupe with the same company as my no claims is on the cooper and the company discounted the coupe, or so I thought! Last year I had a quote on the coupe about £50 cheaper so I moved to a seperate company. The biggest issue is four mot's and four repair bills. As the cars get older they need more work, however, I sold my TF to get my coupe and regretted it the moment it was driving away so I'd like another so the fleet may grow. My biggest issue is parking, they are all off road but only one is under cover

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 16:13   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
We run four and all are insured seperatly which I find the cheaper. The classic cooper S has been with the same company for over twenty years so I insured the coupe with the same company as my no claims is on the cooper and the company discounted the coupe, or so I thought! Last year I had a quote on the coupe about £50 cheaper so I moved to a seperate company. The biggest issue is four mot's and four repair bills. As the cars get older they need more work, however, I sold my TF to get my coupe and regretted it the moment it was driving away so I'd like another so the fleet may grow. My biggest issue is parking, they are all off road but only one is under cover
I am in the same situation - five cars between myself and Mrs MSS. They are all on separate policies without mileage limitations and none of them cost more than £190 to insure.

The real cost is in the maintennace, MOT... and vehicle duty.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 16:18   #8
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Hi Dawn, is the Contemporary garaged over night ?

That would be my biggest problem as the 75 is about 2 inches longer than the garage .....
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 16:22   #9
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Hi Dawn, is the Contemporary garaged over night ?

That would be my biggest problem as the 75 is about 2 inches longer than the garage .....
My ZT 180 is on the drive and £191 with Peter Best....again 3000 miles a year.
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 16:42   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have vehicles insured and mot'ed but not always taxed. Tax as required.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote