Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th September 2011, 09:33   #1
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Default HELP BROKEN DOWN in France - engine shut down

Hi, anyone out there??

Rover75 CDT Manual Tourer

Ive broken down in France. Engine just shut down on the motorway. Got rescue service and car now in garage. They think 2 injectors leak pressure or are damaged but they can't fix it. RAC service say they may have to write the car off here in France as cost of repatriation is more than value of the car!!! I don't want to loose the car... So any suggestions anyone? Could the fuel pump be am issue? Is there more than one pump? Are injectors easy to change? Out of interest there were no lights on the dashboard, it just conked out.

Cheers, Rich.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 09:37   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

As a starting point how muck fuel is in the tank ?, can you hear any pumps running under the bonnet if there is one, or under the back seat. Whiiiring when the ignition is turned on.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 09:40   #3
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Your car is a 2002 so should have an aluminium pump next to the battery. It must start when the ignition is not, if it does and the pump under the seat is gone, when the tank is under a 1/4 it could cause this to happen.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 09:44   #4
swinnie
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Veloce

I agree with the above, my intank pump went on m62, gauge it 1/4 tank and it was just instant. If the garage can not do 2 injectors i wouldn't trust there diagnostic skills much. If fuel is below 1/4 tank stick atleast 25L in and give it a try if not check under bonnet pump is working.

Derek
swinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 09:53   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Rich, Has the garage done the obvious stuff? First put fuel in mine took 10 litres to get it going when the intank pump failed. If you unplug fuel pipe from under bonnet pump to the fuel filter, place in a jar and key to position 2 - you should get a good flow of fuel.

Are you sure the ECU is dry and the plenums haven't flooded? If so remove and dry out the ECU. You could try unplugging the MAF and seeing if it will start although normally these cause stalling or lack of power but worth a try.

Do a search for French Mike's LP and HP pressure sensor checks and show them to the garage - simple tests with a multimeter.

Could be that the crank sensor has failed - no easy test for that as it needs a scope or diagnostics.

If they can't get it going then argue like hell with the RAC to get it back to the UK - don't let them write it off!

They must know of a garage with T4 diagnostics.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 8th September 2011 at 09:56..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:01   #6
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Richard, with all this wet weather that we have been having have you checked the plenums
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:08   #7
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

Don't Panic OP.

Did you get european cover with RAC? Do you have the covernote and or policy with you.
When i broke down in France, the garage over there couldn't fix it, and it took 6 weeks for the car to come back to england and at no point did they mention writing the car off just because it wouldn't run. That's silly.
How are you getting home?
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:16   #8
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

I hope we get an update on this situation and all has been resolved positively.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 17:02   #9
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Hi, anyone out there??

Rover75 CDT Manual Tourer

Ive broken down in France. Engine just shut down on the motorway. Got rescue service and car now in garage. They think 2 injectors leak pressure or are damaged but they can't fix it. RAC service say they may have to write the car off here in France as cost of repatriation is more than value of the car!!! I don't want to loose the car... So any suggestions anyone? Could the fuel pump be am issue? Is there more than one pump? Are injectors easy to change? Out of interest there were no lights on the dashboard, it just conked out.

Cheers, Rich.
Hi Rich,

Sorry for you ! in what area are you ?
Don't panic and don't listen the garages ..
I had the same thing on the motorway near Paris ;
In fact,it is one of the symptoms of a dead intank pump ;
in addition,the under bonnet pump becomes noisy (gurgling)

If you fuel level is under the quarter,no doubt .
At first put 20 liters of fuel in the tank and see.

Good luck

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 19:07   #10
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Hi chaps! Thank you all so much for your advice... Its much appreciated! Plenums are dry I cleaned the one below the ecu and put a new filter in before we left the uk. There was a thunder storm here one night at a campsite but I'd expect all to have drained ok, car did start and and run most of the day ie 11am till 8pm then conked out.

Now curiously it was a about 1/4 full so it is possible the suggestions on fuel could be right! I assume if I can fill the tank and try a start then it may possibly work with the intank or under bonnet pump gone??? But how far would it drive??

We were towing a caravan at the time, as the car was new to me I was surprised it felt like a struggle to keep it at 65 or so with a medium size caravan behind the mpg was about 24mpg which I thought was a bit low even for the CDT? but perhaps I expected too much from the car?

Anyway the car is at Chateau Theiry just east of Paris and we are stuck on a campsite at challons en champagne about 110km from the car and 300km from Calais. RAC say nothing will be done until next Monday now :-( so we just have to sit around then find out it garage can fix it and at what cost if the cost is more than the car and it can befixed before 17th our return date we apparently have to go with that if not it's my problem to get it home. If the garage cannot fix before 17th RAC repatriate car and caravan.

I'm thinking self help might turn out to be the way forward ie buy an a frame towbar from eBay go home I the car hire we have and come back with some other tow car perhaps, prob then is what to do with the caravan!

Gents... I'll keep you posted.

Right must go and pacify my wife and one year old little girl.. Life is certainly t
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote