Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Was it you?
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th September 2017, 23:26   #41
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

No longer fit to drive - this wasn't simply misjudging the turning, the whole manoeuvere is beyond his current ability level.
Old 13th September 2017, 00:39   #42
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Thumbs down RE: Parking Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachim View Post

As I learned today, the fact of the matter is that a Rover 75 is just about one of the worst possible cars to park or manoeuvre. Visibility is terrible, steering lock poor....

Of course it's an age thing!!! I'm 69 years old and I was utterly terrified today when I had to park my Rover 75 in a private multi-storey carpark with very tight bends and bad illumination.

I've never in all my 50 years of driving had such difficulty. Worst of all was that because the steep spiral roadway turned round rightwards (as is usual in France), with this rhd vehicle it was impossible for me to see where the left front wing/bonnet were with respect to the stone and concrete wall.

I had to take several ''bites'' back and forth on a very steep slope and tight bend. And doing that with an automatic box rather than simple gear/clutch was a total nightmare!!! Amazing I didn't scrape or dent it.

I have decided today that in all the circunstances this rhd car is simply too dangerous and difficult for me to keep in France. She may look great, but to drive she's as bad as the 1947 Rover 16 which was my first car and a rough P4 Rover 90 I had in the early 1970s.
They also had lousy steering and bad visibility. Some things don't change, then!

It's a relief to get back into my Peugeot 605. Now there's a much too-little known and under-estimated car....
That'll be the Peugeot 605 with the same 11m turning circle as the 75 will it? Really - your mistake is trying to park a car of that size in a tight multi-story in the first place. And a right hand drive at that in a left hand drive country. If you are going to do that then you really need to learn where all 4 corners of your car are in relation to your driving position. If you are suggesting you'd have managed in the 605 then given the 605's slightly larger dimensions and same turning circle it's obviously a driver skill problem, not a problem with the car.

You can't blame the Rover for being RHD - they did make LHD versions for those who drive on the right side of the road you know. You do seem quite hell bent on hating the Rover even though this appears to be at least your third one. Some might question your wisdom in car choice if you didn't like the first two but carry on and buy a third anyway.

As for the original clip - this was posted and commented on back in 2013 I don't think it worth adding anything else to the thread. It's almost as if you've deliberately searched for something like this so you can make (more) negative comments....

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 06:03   #43
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well said Avulon..simply common sense needed..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 09:05   #44
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I agree with all the others who said that it was absolutely disgraceful of those louts to mockingly film the guy rather than help.

As I learned today, the fact of the matter is that a Rover 75 is just about one of the worst possible cars to park or manoeuvre. Visibility is terrible, steering lock poor....

Of course it's an age thing!!! I'm 69 years old and I was utterly terrified today when I had to park my Rover 75 in a private multi-storey carpark with very tight bends and bad illumination.

I've never in all my 50 years of driving had such difficulty. Worst of all was that because the steep spiral roadway turned round rightwards (as is usual in France), with this rhd vehicle it was impossible for me to see where the left front wing/bonnet were with respect to the stone and concrete wall.

I had to take several ''bites'' back and forth on a very steep slope and tight bend. And doing that with an automatic box rather than simple gear/clutch was a total nightmare!!! Amazing I didn't scrape or dent it.

I have decided today that in all the circunstances this rhd car is simply too dangerous and difficult for me to keep in France. She may look great, but to drive she's as bad as the 1947 Rover 16 which was my first car and a rough P4 Rover 90 I had in the early 1970s.
They also had lousy steering and bad visibility. Some things don't change, then!

It's a relief to get back into my Peugeot 605. Now there's a much too-little known and under-estimated car....
Feel better after your little rant? Anyone would be forgiven for thinking you revived this thread purely to have a go at the 75.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:13   #45
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

The 75ZT has much better vis all round than a lot of modern cars IMO

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 09:27   #46
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

Quote:
Yes, I agree with all the others who said that it was absolutely disgraceful of those louts to mockingly film the guy rather than help.

Well I disagree.. the 75 has a fab turning circle for a larger car.. and as far as parking one goes - I have never had a problem.. or when I have been in a multi-storey.. so I don't know where that has come from.. I do know of a few multi-storey car parks having right hand spirals over here in the UK.

I do agree that maybe a LHD car would have been better suited to driving in France and that it was bad to film the guy in the clip.. not good..

I also don't think its a Rover thing.. lol.. the guy was obviously having a very bad day there...

kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote