Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2010, 20:41   #91
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

My personal opinion is that the Police force is like most big companies. There are to many chiefs and not enough indians. The chiefs that run the companies get silly money whilst the indians (the proper workers) don't. Like the NHS. How many wards now have non medical managers running them earning again silly money whilst a Matron could do it for a fraction of the cost and more efficiently.
When I was working for Rover up untill it "closed" we had an exercise within the manaufacturing process to have every worker accessed to determine how much "Value Added Work" was within their job description. I forget what the % was made up to but the min was in the 90's and the max was just over a 100%. All worker took part and given extra work to boost their % up. Was'nt very popular as you can imagine. The track workers had to, the team leaders had to, the lower managers had to. Then the exercise suddenly stopped.Why? When it came to the middle managers it was established that they did not add ANY "Value Added Work" to the production of the vehicle. This is what is going on within these big companies today. Police, NHS etc. Even charities are getting in on the act. I saw an avert on TV the other day asking for a donation of £150 Yes £150 to pay for an operation on these poor kids with cleft palets. Question I ask myself is how much of that £150 goes for the operation and how much goes to the "Chiefs" wages.
Sorry I digress.
This police office who issued the fixed fine for the mobile phone insident. Could it be he was'nt sure of the law? Could it be he was told it was the law by his superior? This officer is like every other worker at the bottom of the ladder. He is the one who gets the brunt of it all. If the upper management did their job properly then there would'nt be any confusion. Upper management in this case being the government. If I asked my MP to ask the question in the house of commons would it happen? NOTHING. Why? We are the workers and upper management don't talk to workers directly unless it is for a publicity stunt and even then it's a fixed setup.
This is the end of my rant and I hope I unearthed a few questions some members could think about.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:29   #92
fj1200
Avid contributor

2003 Rover 75 SE Tourer CDTi, Silver

I've seen this type of thing a few times over the years, so if I have to call, I have the car stopped, keys out of the ignition, drivers door open and if it's not raining and safe I'll get out of the car. Otherwise, either I have it in car mode (android phone), or just switch if off altogether.
Old 14th March 2013, 22:35   #93
TheSamPeople
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club SE

I suppose you could get away with it if you have one of the keyless drive Systems, may get away with it on the technicality.

Ill admit i must be one of the most dangerous drivers on the road for the amount of times i need to use my phone parked in a safe place with keys in the ignition. will probibly have to deal with North Wales police at some point too
Old 15th March 2013, 08:44   #94
Father Ted
Regular poster

None, yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Next, you'll be fined for taking your eyes off the road to look at your speedo, or checking your rear view mirror!
I was involved in an incident when a group of kids ran across the road, most behind me and one into the side of me.
When giving a statement to our insurers, I mentioned that, as the group ran behind I checked my mirror to make sure they hadn't collided with the rear of my car. The insurance guy told me, "best not to mention that you weren't looking at the road""!. Now, I believed checking the mirrors was a part of driving correctly?
Father Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 21:19   #95
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

I recently went of the polices naughty boy course (34 in a 30) ! while there I learnt that, While talking holding a phone is illegal, .......

If you have an accident while using a totally hands free unit...... you are still prosecuted for using a phone while driving EXACTLY THE SAME AS IF YOU WERE HOLDING IT !!!!

The act changes the offence from careless driving into dangerous driving !!!

Why the hell are handsfree legal then ?????

Oh and sorry if this has been raised in the thread.....not read it all !!!
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 18:28   #96
wesley
Loves to post

75 saloon

thatll be 3 points on my lisense then. not good for a bus driver. i should know better driving for a living.

i was stopped in my car at a set of lights on red in nuneaton today and thought i could get away with it. just checked a txt message.

i was wrong

copper on foot saw me.

just need to wait for the letter now. stupid stupid stupid

Last edited by wesley; 25th April 2013 at 18:37..
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 19:26   #97
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
thatll be 3 points on my lisense then. not good for a bus driver. i should know better driving for a living.

i was stopped in my car at a set of lights on red in nuneaton today and thought i could get away with it. just checked a txt message.

i was wrong

copper on foot saw me.

just need to wait for the letter now. stupid stupid stupid
That's sneaky, fancy letting a bobby out on the beat on foot ..... bet it never catches on.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 21:23   #98
Shapfell
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conn SE saloon / MG ZTT cdti auto

I did a Driving Instructor course a few years ago and part of the course was 'talking' yourself down the road to become more aware of hazards. We were told in no uncertain terms to lock our mobiles in the boot and turned off if doing this as the Plod were quite happy to pull you for talking on a mobile. It happened to me; luckily I followed advice and the look on the Plod's face when I opened the boot and told him to take the phone out of my briefcase was a picture. He wasn't happy.....

2004 Conn SE 1.8
Work so far:-
Gerry T, Rad Fan Resistor, Handbrake Compensator, Bonnet Catch Block, Leather Handbrake gaiter, Journey Camera,
Sean's DD Unit with Freeview!, Towbar, Rear Sunblind, Smiley!, Headlamp Protectors, Alloy Intake, R75 Brolly, Puddle lights, reversing camera.

2004 Connie CDTi Tourer; replacement for the ZTT.
Shapfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 10:27   #99
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

" the Plod were quite happy to pull you for talking on a mobile "..

Is there a difference between this and talking to a passenger ? especially one in the back seat ?
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 14:50   #100
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
I recently went of the polices naughty boy course (34 in a 30) ! while there I learnt that, While talking holding a phone is illegal, .......

If you have an accident while using a totally hands free unit...... you are still prosecuted for using a phone while driving EXACTLY THE SAME AS IF YOU WERE HOLDING IT !!!!

The act changes the offence from careless driving into dangerous driving !!!

Why the hell are handsfree legal then ?????

Oh and sorry if this has been raised in the thread.....not read it all !!!
Hi.
Its the same when CB was illegal, you could own one quite legally but it was illegal to use it.
Dont forget anything that has distracted you during the time you are driving and that distraction happened at the point of an accident you will be charged with dangerous driving.
The big problem today is employers are always in communication with you on the road, Where are you, how many jobs have you left, don't go there go somewhere else, or the wife could be having a rant at you on the phone, all this adds to frustration when driving, taking risks and ultimately stress and tiredness. No boss can force you to answer a call on the move and even hands free uses up your proper concentration when driving and that puts you in a situation of being less aware of what's going on around you.
Drivers that text on the move should be banned for at least 4 weeks as in my mind are even a greater hazard with their eyes off the road.

No call or text is that important, if it is stop and don't risk others lives or your own.

Last edited by murphyv310; 30th May 2013 at 20:28.. Reason: Punctuation
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote