Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 13:10   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
The cars I drive all under read Golf, V50 both read 30 but actually are doing 27. It's a bit closer on the V50 at 40 and 50 but by 70 both the golf and volvo are indicating 74 at 70.
If your speedometer shows a higher speed than you are actually doing then it's over-reading. Be careful of relying on SatNav speed displays as well: especially at lower speeds. Add in location tolerance and inclines and bends and you could actually be going a few mph faster than it says. Having said that I believe on a straight level road with good satellite coverage it's going to be more accurate than the dashboard speedo.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 20:00   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The new system is a step in the right direction but still has shortcomings. The fines shuld be proportional to the square of the driver's earnings and excess speed.

A real opportunity is being missed here to redistribute wealth as well as ensure the safety of citizens.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 23:09   #23
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_mike View Post
31 in a 30mph area? I thought they had to give 10% tolerance for speedometer calibration.

Mike

Hi everyone mibby it is just that I am the old man Rover driver, but the speed limit signs show the maximum speed we should be traveling at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:33   #24
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Hi everyone mibby it is just that I am the old man Rover driver, but the speed limit signs show the maximum speed we should be traveling at.

Absolutely. I'm roadcraft and IAM trained, one thing though that is never stressed properly is the limit on a section of road is the Maximum for that section, if the road is full of hazards, kids playing, parked cars, cyclists, junctions with poor visibility then the properly trained driver will be well under the speed limit even with the transit up your back, which incidentally will make me lower my speed even more!!
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:09   #25
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Yep, that's the advice. If there's a car up your bottom, slow down so you have less risk of needing to do a quick stop resulting in an accident. The closer they are, the slower you drive. My dad ended up driving down a 40mph limit road at 15mph because the van up his exhaust must have been about 12cm away. Naturally, there was lots of flashing and beeping of horns and expletives etc, but when the van dropped back, my dad sped up, so the van closed up and my dad slowed down.
Oddly enough, the van driver thought this was just my dad deliberately trying to annoy him, whereas it was the correct way to deal with tailgaters.
Of course, once the van went past, HE then drove like a moron, going very slowly, and doing emergency stops for no reason. My dad didn't bat an eyelid, just kept well back and continued smoking his pipe, listening to classic fm.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:38   #26
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Yep, that's the advice. If there's a car up your bottom, slow down so you have less risk of needing to do a quick stop resulting in an accident. The closer they are, the slower you drive. My dad ended up driving down a 40mph limit road at 15mph because the van up his exhaust must have been about 12cm away. Naturally, there was lots of flashing and beeping of horns and expletives etc, but when the van dropped back, my dad sped up, so the van closed up and my dad slowed down.
Oddly enough, the van driver thought this was just my dad deliberately trying to annoy him, whereas it was the correct way to deal with tailgaters.
Of course, once the van went past, HE then drove like a moron, going very slowly, and doing emergency stops for no reason. My dad didn't bat an eyelid, just kept well back and continued smoking his pipe, listening to classic fm.
I've had similar experience (twice)- It does make you wonder if they were in that much of a hurry then once they're past why don't they just get on?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:21   #27
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

All I can say is good.Perhaps drivers may get the drift. But I doubt it. Also not enough enforcement takes place. 20 mph where I live means 40-50-60 mph,in the same road as a school. Last year when the police decided to take some action, in 10 minutes, seven people were caught,with the fastest doing 39 mph. That's slow believe me. We have had m/ cyclists have gone that fast you can not get their reg number. I hope that when the new penalties come in, they are enforced.
Old 13th August 2017, 21:11   #28
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
All I can say is good.Perhaps drivers may get the drift. But I doubt it. Also not enough enforcement takes place. 20 mph where I live means 40-50-60 mph,in the same road as a school. Last year when the police decided to take some action, in 10 minutes, seven people were caught,with the fastest doing 39 mph. That's slow believe me. We have had m/ cyclists have gone that fast you can not get their reg number. I hope that when the new penalties come in, they are enforced.

Hi again the main road outside my house is a 30 limit passing 3 schools in under a mile. It has several junctions either side and two sets of ped lights for two of the schools one roundabout 3 way and a set of traffic lights for the estate and third school.
My road end is 100 yards from one of the schools and 300 yards from another. Sitting in my deck chair with a velocity gun the average speed last month was 43mph mid afternoon.
They have fitted a speed camera just before the school 300 yards from the road end on Friday I took my deck chair round again, goodness what a difference average speed is now 46mph and the fastest car was 87mph the fastest bus 57mph the fastest truck/lorry 52mph the slowest bus was 38mph.
People must be going mad I will go back round when the schools go back and see how well these drivers fair then.

alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 21:46   #29
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Notices are going up on lamp posts in Sheffield that the city centre, and surrounding areas, will be changing to 20mph. Don't know if they're doing this in other cities.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 22:35   #30
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

The government could have stated that all new cars have manual speed limiters fitted to help drivers stick to limits and not accidentally drift over.
Many cars now have them, I've hired a few with this feature and it's really useful.

I wonder why they won't make that law . A law that would reduce the amount of fines they have to hand out.
It really is a mystery.
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote