Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 11:43   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Air con fan noise

Hello! I know I'm probably getting on everyones parts now, but I have another question to which I can't find an answer. Probably because I don't know how to phrase it nor what things are called!

Right. Here we go.

When I turn on the air con, the fan starts. I don't know if this is the main fan, a dedicated air con fan or what. But it seems rather noisy. When I turn the engine off, there is a short, few seconds overrun with the fan, which, when late at night, makes the noise of it more noticeable. I don't know if there are several fans or just the one, but is a noisy fan normal, or is it on its' way out, or has it already gone out, got it's coat and is hailing a taxi back home? It's being looked at tomorrow for the turbo lag / NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- thing, and I would like to know if I ought to get this looked at under warranty or if it's a nothing job, or if it's a major job. If the car has major issues, I can take the thing back as it is still covered under the garage warranty if it is going to die soon. But I've had the thing nearly a month now and it's getting close to no return!

Help!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:19   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Normal
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:39   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Not usually detectable whilst travelling. If it's loose or on some fans the circlip has dropped orf then there would be a heck of a clatter.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:49   #4
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Cheers!

It's not a rattle, just a loud grumbly fan, only really noticeable as a background grumble, but when stationary, with the ignition on but engine off for example, it's a growly rumbling low fan noise, but certainly no rattles or coughs or metal screeching or anything.
I shall stop worrying about it.
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:57   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Hearing the large noisy 18" radiator fan running is music to ones ears, you should start to worry when you dont hear the fan running.

If your fan is constantly running when using aircon and stops once aircon is switched off, this is normal.

Does your fan run at any other time when aircon is not being used, especially in cold cool weather?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:02   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

As Dallas says the fan runs continuously with the A/C on, if it pulses on and off then the slow speed is inoperative.
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:24   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The later 1.8 engines have a 2-speed radiator fan with the slower speed provided by the infamous resistor. The two speeds are described as noisy and noisier. The aircon system requires the slower speed running continuously. The engine will also trip this on if it reaches 104C.

The faster speed is less used and is primarily for cooling an overheated engine, often after shut-down (heat soak). It will also be tripped on for emergency cooling in the event of the slow speed being inoperable. Since your slow speed seems to be operational, check if it has the 'gold' resistor upgrade in place. Look through the front grill and through the fan blades. You'll see a resistor in the 2 o'clock position on the fan guard. The original, underpowered one is aluminium in colour. The upgrade type usually has a gold anodised finish.

It's useful to be able to recognise the two fan speeds (noisy and noisier). The Demist Test will/should trip on the slow speed at will.

The high speed can be tripped by temporarily disconnecting the engine coolant temperature sensor and starting it up.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:09   #8
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

So far I haven't driven the car for long enough distances to trigger the higher speed fan, just checked and double checked the operation and yes, air con makes the fan come on. Turn air con off and fan stops. Plus it's been COLD!

I'll check the resistor when I get the car back from the mechanic looking at the 3500rpm blip, having the rear seat fitted now it's dry underneath, loose handbrake and a couple of other bits. Also the guy was looking at the noisy fan!
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:31   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Also the guy was looking at the noisy fan!
Maybe the motor bearings or a slack blades unit.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote