Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2017, 14:39   #11
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Cheers... took it to garage today to have a look. The power connector to the headlight washer pump has permanent power at the end, tested with a meter so it would seem to be a problem with the pump im guessing? Is it easy to change with car parked in street? Dont wanna have to go all the way to my mechanic to fit it if possible.
Cheers
Phill
Phill_190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 23:36   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill_190 View Post
Cheers... took it to garage today to have a look. The power connector to the headlight washer pump has permanent power at the end, tested with a meter so it would seem to be a problem with the pump im guessing? Is it easy to change with car parked in street? Dont wanna have to go all the way to my mechanic to fit it if possible.
Cheers
Phill
Hi Phil.
Yes quite easy to change the pump yourself, remove the quarter quadrant panel under the drivers bumper fives screws, remove a couple of the wheel arch scrivets peel back the arch liner to reveal the washer bottle then remover the top pump, you need to press the clip to the hose to release that first then the electric connector on top of the pump, once you have done that pull out the pump, reverse all the above.

Should take about 30 minutes good luck Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:10   #13
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Ive replaced the headlamp washer pump and washers still not working unfortunately.. any other ideas if what it maybe? Im wondering if its due to the bixenons? Maybe because the power draw is less the ecu isnt telling tje washer pump to work? The connector onto the pump has power so it cant be fuse
Cheers
Phill
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:43   #14
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

If there is a 12v supply to the pump on the Slate/Red cable, it won't be the control circuit from the BCU as that switches a relay which supplies the power to the washer pump on that cable direct from a fuse.
Check there a good connection to Earth on the Black cable of the pump connector.

Last edited by raykay; 23rd March 2017 at 16:15..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:36   #15
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Yeah i believe my mechanic put a voltmeter on the plug connector and it had a permanent live feed. So you dont think the lower power consumption of the lights would cause the pump to not work? Is it work checking the alarm works to make sure that has power? How would I check the earth connection? Sorry im not very technical!
Cheers
Phill
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:15   #16
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

There should not be a permanent live feed to the pump, only live when the relay is switched by the BCU circuit.
If there is power to the pump connector on the Slate/Red cable, the BCU circuit would be working properly, to operate the relay and supply the power to the pump.
The best way to check for a good Earth is with a test lamp, rather than a voltmeter, connected to the Black cable in the connector and a known 12v supply, a voltmeter may show an Earth connection, even if it is not sufficient to operate the pump.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:34   #17
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

Ok cheers.. going a bit beyond my level so will prob take it to a nano meet and hopefully someone could have a look for me pretty important I guess as its part of the MOT I believe