Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th January 2017, 07:37   #1
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Market for 260s

Folks, what do you think is a realistic budget these days to buy a decent condition 260?

I may be getting nearer my goal of having a pot of money for one in a month or two but, for example, what would 7-8k buy in today's market?

I'm sure buying one from a club/enthusiasts' group like this, would be the best way to go

I have asked the same question over on the 260s, so it'll be interesting to see what people think.

I think I may have to be patient as I'm picky, and really want a Mk.1 in blue

Cheers

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 10:19   #2
sn1958
Regular poster

MGZTT 190SE

I cant really answer the question as I have been looking on and off for a ZTT 260 or maybe a Rover 75 Tourer V8 for a while, I am very picky so finding the right one wont be easy ...

There is a few up for sale at the minute with prices from 7-10K, I could kick myself I could of had one years ago when the prices were lower ...

I too am interested in getting a feel for what sort of budget I need to bag a decent one ...
sn1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 10:41   #3
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

7-8k should buy a good one, the difficulty being that there arent too many on the market.

Obviously you'll pay a lot more for one fitted with a shiny musical box on top of the engine, but again, there are only a few supercharged ones about, and going forward few if any options for doing the conversion.

I let black Olive go for 5k having paid 9k for it and running it for 7 years, but it had got to the stage where Id only done 300 miles in the last year in it, and it was time for someone else to enjoy it.

Last edited by black olive; 25th January 2017 at 10:44..
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 10:55   #4
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1958 View Post
I cant really answer the question as I have been looking on and off for a ZTT 260 or maybe a Rover 75 Tourer V8 for a while, I am very picky so finding the right one wont be easy ...

There is a few up for sale at the minute with prices from 7-10K, I could kick myself I could of had one years ago when the prices were lower ...

I too am interested in getting a feel for what sort of budget I need to bag a decent one ...

bob is selling his ZTT V8 soon (flying banana), a finer one you will struggle to find I expect, having seen it myself and appraising cars for a living its a thing of beauty!
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 10:56   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

As stated the V8s don't come on the market that often, you've got to be prepared to travel and you need to factor that into the costs, mine came from darkest Yorkshire, south of Leeds, about 230-240 miles away. Two trips down, first for a test drive, 2nd to collect it after a fault that popped up during the test drive was rectified.

When I was looking for one what I found extremely frustrating was the number of "dead" adverts still online. Find one for sale, contact the seller and find its long gone.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 12:49   #6
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default V8s on hte market

Steve

You're right about dead adverts online - very frustrating!
Deepest darkest Yorkshire eh? (Leeds did you say?)
Darn that's my neck of the woods!

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 13:23   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorksMG2013 View Post
Steve

You're right about dead adverts online - very frustrating!
Deepest darkest Yorkshire eh? (Leeds did you say?)
Darn that's my neck of the woods!

Andrew
It was actually in Liversedge, opposite end of same wee town that Russ (BigRuss) lives in but he didn't know the car. Went to Russ for a spare key after picking the car up, that was fun, discovered like a lot of V8s mine doesn't like a T4 poking around inside it! The car had a hissy fit and Russ ended up having to phone Brian

I remember there was one ad I responded to, the guy had a thick Irish accent and spoke at 300mph, I couldn't understand a word he said! He could have been offering me the car for free I wouldn't have known

T4 Location Map
Old 25th January 2017, 14:25   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I am thinking about putting my 54 plate ZTT 400 up For Sale at the end of February.

**** BUT PLEASE NOTE ****
I'm only thinking about it. If I decide to then I will post it up on here. But it won't be cheap.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 14:40   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

When ready try an look at ASAP, I missed a couple because I could not look until the weekend.

Also be careful as there are some that have not had much in the way of TLC, probably recoverable but needs to be factored in.

Also do you realise how many rear tyres they get through? I have done nearly 10k in mine in the last 11 months and I half way through my second set.

Good luck.

Steve
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 15:17   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

I was lucky, during the test drive the ABS light popped up, much to the owner's annoyance, he'd just had work done on the ABS module. We called into MG Lifestyle (or whatever they're called now) and the owner booked it in. I had a quiet word with Chris of MG Lifestyle and he confirmed the car was a good one. The owner actually replaced the ABS module at the cost of a few hundred quid, I did offer to give something towards the cost as it was eliminating a potential future problem for me but the owner wouldn't hear of it.

The car was pampered, when I picked the car up the owner actually asked me to keep in touch, when did you last have that happen when you bought a car?

T4 Location Map