Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 09:33   #11
KENHAYES247
Regular poster

Rover 75

Rip Off Britain! - Got a quote today for 2 driveshafts (L/R) from a car breaker called Metroman. Total cost with delivery to Germany £242.00 - parts unseen.

Queried the cost which then went down to £126.00 with a message saying pressed the wrong button LOL. I somehow think he would have quite happily let me pay the £242!

I have now just bought both - £67 pound delivered!
KENHAYES247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:36   #12
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENHAYES247 View Post
Rip Off Britain! - Got a quote today for 2 driveshafts (L/R) from a car breaker called Metroman. Total cost with delivery to Germany £242.00 - parts unseen.

Queried the cost which then went down to £126.00 with a message saying pressed the wrong button LOL. I somehow think he would have quite happily let me pay the £242!

I have now just bought both - £67 pound delivered!
Ken

Did the garage confirm a driveshaft as the likely source of the problem ?

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 10:23   #13
KENHAYES247
Regular poster

Rover 75

Pete - Yes, the RH D/Shaft has a lot of movement in it and the left a tiny amount but now enough to fail it when it goes in for its TUV. I will have it replaced anyway.

I have 2 shafts coming from the UK and 2 from within Germany. Ive decided to do the work myself despite getting a good price for labour from the garage. As for the parts they said i was better off sourcing them myself.

Bit of an overkill on parts i know but i can them to my list of spares for the future!

Ken

Last edited by KENHAYES247; 24th March 2017 at 10:27..
Old 24th March 2017, 11:36   #14
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Pete - Yes, the RH D/Shaft has a lot of movement in it and the left a tiny amount but now enough to fail it when it goes in for its TUV. I will have it replaced anyway.

I have 2 shafts coming from the UK and 2 from within Germany. Ive decided to do the work myself despite getting a good price for labour from the garage. As for the parts they said i was better off sourcing them myself.

Bit of an overkill on parts i know but i can them to my list of spares for the future!

Ken
Good luck- let us know how it goes

Pete
Old 4th April 2017, 07:51   #15
KENHAYES247
Regular poster

Rover 75

Pete - Do you know what size the 2 bolts are that secure the bearing clamp to the back of the engine? The Haynes manual refers to a 12 pointed socket as well stating a six sided will not fit, is that correct?

Also where is best to access the two bolts from? The heat shield has been removed as stated by Haynes but access to the bolts is really awkward especially the upper one. Any advice

Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 10:34   #16
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

6 sided will not fit, 14mm ring spanner will do the job or the 12 pointed sockets that tend to round bolts more. They should come off without issue using spanner done a few and never had access problems.

Got thinking it may be 15mm now, trying to recall, 14 or 15.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 10:37   #17
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
6 sided will not fit, 14mm ring spanner will do the job or the 12 pointed sockets that tend to round bolts more. They should come off without issue using spanner done a few and never had access problems.

Got thinking it may be 15mm now, trying to recall, 14 or 15.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Mine were 14mm when I did the clutch change - they should come off with a 14mm ring spanner or 12-sided socket. They are not meant to be that tight - only 25Nm I think, but some folks put a drop of Loctite on the threads when replacing them to make sure they do not come undone.

I have only undone these bolts on diesels, not on a V6, so cannot advise on your access issue, I am afraid.

Let us know if the drive shaft swap solves your problem.

Pete

Last edited by EastPete; 4th April 2017 at 10:57.. Reason: typo
Old 4th April 2017, 11:56   #18
KENHAYES247
Regular poster

Rover 75

Thanks Pete - but i have given in.

Access to most things on this car are tight but these bolts are just plain silly!

The car is off to the garage to effect the repair. As they deal a lot with R75s at least I know they will have the parts, tools and know how to get it done in short order.

Let you know the outcome.

Many thanks

Ken
Old 5th May 2017, 11:18   #19
KENHAYES247
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hi Pete,

Well finally got the driveshaft done, confirmed as the RHS inner joint knackered. Whilst in the garage it also had a new LHS ball joint, headlight re-align, some body work, 2 new rear bushes (biggies), indicator bulbs and a few other bits including TUV (MOT) for Germany.

Car is now good for another 2 years and drives beautifully. Have to say the garage was thorough, a little slow but did a good job.

I was lucky as this was a ex Rover dealership now repair shop dating back to the 90s.
Cannot be many of them around in Germany!

Ken
Old 5th May 2017, 11:32   #20
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Hi Pete,

Well finally got the driveshaft done, confirmed as the RHS inner joint knackered. Whilst in the garage it also had a new LHS ball joint, headlight re-align, some body work, 2 new rear bushes (biggies), indicator bulbs and a few other bits including TUV (MOT) for Germany.

Car is now good for another 2 years and drives beautifully. Have to say the garage was thorough, a little slow but did a good job.

I was lucky as this was a ex Rover dealership now repair shop dating back to the 90s.
Cannot be many of them around in Germany!

Ken
AutoHaus Engles looked after my 400 when I lived in Elmpt all those years ago ('95). Great service, although their Master Tech spoke less English than I did German which made explaining a gearbox issue much fun! I think they were near Neiderkurchen (possible spelling issue sorry)

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote