Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 08:14   #11
Burwell Mike
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Morning Mike,

Presuming I pass I'm going to then take the 'Day Skippers' course as well which teaches the basics of chart plotting amongst other boating skills.

Then I may we'll take you up on that offer although not sure it will be in our present boat.
She is a category C vessel and sea worthy but with only a 55HP engine only really suitable for calm sea states.

In the near future we plan to get a bigger Category B vessel, either a Broom or a Haines probably and preferably with two (bigger) engines which will allow for extended cruising around the coast and possibly over to mainland Europe.
We would choose the above boats as they are still good for river work as well as off shore and have relatively small drafts

Having said all that, on the right day and with some forward planing I may well take Riverlight out at Yarmouth and into the North Sea, of course if I turn right at Yarmouth I could sail back home to Clacton as well
She will only do flat out about 10/12 knots though and will cruise at about 7 knots so we won't be getting anywhere fast

One way or the other though it will be on the cards so would be great to take you up on the offer in the future .

Sounds like exciting times ahead! I would only be brave enough to venture out to sea if I had twin engines, certainly would not risk it in my current boat (A 1964 Seamaster 25 with the original Ford Zephyr engine). I am grateful to cruise from Cambridge to Ely without any drama!

I'll try and post some pictures of the boat and fenland waterways later - although they will not be a patch on your Broads photos we have been enjoying.
Burwell Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:18   #12
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burwell Mike View Post
Sounds like exciting times ahead! I would only be brave enough to venture out to sea if I had twin engines, certainly would not risk it in my current boat (A 1964 Seamaster 25 with the original Ford Zephyr engine). I am grateful to cruise from Cambridge to Ely without any drama!

I'll try and post some pictures of the boat and fenland waterways later - although they will not be a patch on your Broads photos we have been enjoying.
I'm sure they will be great, looking forward to seeing them Mike
Old 25th March 2017, 19:45   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Well..............its been a very long but productive day.

I have passed and now I'm the proud holder of a VHF/DSC ship to shore radio licence

RYA Day Skipper course next to go for
Old 25th March 2017, 20:03   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Well done Jeff
Old 25th March 2017, 20:05   #15
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Well done Jeff
Thanks Richard.......10 hours of brain overload but well worth it
Old 25th March 2017, 20:58   #16
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi Jeff.
Well done. I wonder if it is more involved than the Radio Amateur Foundation license that is so simple it's really a joke.
One question being............ Can you identify the colours of the wires in a 13 amp plug!!!!!!!
Old 25th March 2017, 22:22   #17
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi Jeff.
Well done. I wonder if it is more involved than the Radio Amateur Foundation license that is so simple it's really a joke.
One question being............ Can you identify the colours of the wires in a 13 amp plug!!!!!!!
Thanks Trevor, can't comment on the Radio Amateur Foundation but I know plenty of folks who wouldn't have a clue how to wire a plug or even how to change the fuse

The exam/course is quite involved as apart from knowing the correct procedures for making a distress call including use of maritime language you also have to learn the basics of other emergency/distress equipment fitted to vessels such as SART (Search and rescue transponder) Radar, Navtex etc

It's a very informative course though and through the use of practical simulated tests using real equipment the subsequent exams (practical and written) were not daunting and all students in the class I was in passed