Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 14:46   #11
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I have just given these people a call and they confirm that I was wrongly informed that they kept Rover colours in stock. They keep a massive 'colour bank' of all the shades they have mixed where they can retain the original sample. All colours are mixed by eye each time.
Sorry if the info I had has mislead but I can vouch for the product quality if you are able to send them a sample (see website for details).

An idea occurred to me.
1. How many popular leather trim colours are there for our cars?
2. With the number now being broken could we not get together representative samples from trim colours (Only needs to be 8cm x 5cm), would need to be unexposed under seat folds etc to be as original as poss.
3.Label samples with trim code and colour and let Liquid Leather hold them on their database for members to order from.

I made a second call to them and they would be very receptive to doing this. As they are very local to me I would be happy to co-ordinate and arrange this with them. Incidently you will note from their website that they will supply overseas.

Any thoughts, how many colours are there, anyone got access to trim samples?

Tony
Did they by chance keep a record of your sandstone.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:12   #12
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

No, because their colour bank is associated with the retaining of samples and mine was a headrest.
Every supply is mixed by eye, the kit i bought consisted of the dye, toner to lighten or darken if necessary, plus a bottle of gloss if a
shiny finish is required.
I also added a bottle of leather cleaner, in all cost me about £28 last year.

I used it in on a badly worn steering wheel and drivers seat bolster. You have to build up in thin coats. I found that using a camel hair artists type brush was better the the sponge they supply, doesn't leave streaks.
It's still as good as the day I finished it and I still have some left, well pleased.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:17   #13
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
You've changed your name
Yep, reluctantly.

Reebs was kind enough to change it to help me deal with a family problem
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:22   #14
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Check the threads from Kev f6. Sure he is in the trade and has done an excellent how to including links for all the necessary supplies. I have purchased everything he has recommended, but not yet tried it.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:47   #15
Master
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Theres a company on Tyneside called the furniture clinic...They do first class kits for dying leather ..Used them on my seats & steering wheel...cant complain
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 20:35   #16
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Hi I need to get some ash grey leather dye for the MGZT ideally I want some that is a good match, any help would be appreciated kind regards Mick
Hello Michael

I am pretty sure I might have some Ash Grey and Smokestone dye in the shed, it was originally purchased from Stubie when I used to have my Rover 75 and although partly used there is some left as well as the apllicator sponges, it all depends on how much you need.

You are welcome to have these free if charge as long as I can find them in the shed, I will have a look for you tomorrow.

If you are going to the Pride Of Longbridge I would be anle to pass the dye onto you there.

Regards

Clyde
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 21:00   #17
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

The stuff Stubbie had was brilliant, clean the wheel and sponge it on and lasted for ages.Did a bit of research re dyeing car leather and there appears two types of colouring leather,one is actually dyeing the leather with a dye and then coating it with a clear sealer, the other being the stuff Stubbie used which was a dye with all the sealers etc mixed in so it can be just applied all at once.
The difference being some leather is coloured by colour being absorbed into the leather and then coated with clear finish, mostly used in furniture ,the other being a hard wearing flexible coating applied to the surface of the leather mostly used in the auto industry.
I'm sure at some point Stubbie mentioned where he got his supplies from although it would be great if he got back into business as his colouring was spot on and a very good product.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote