Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 08:06   #11
10coupe
Avid contributor

ex Rover

I often see nice ones advertised on the classic websites - this one in particular
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/40/
sometimes on the expensive side but does depend on your budget!
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:09   #12
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

I bought my ZTT and the 75 I used to own both from ex MG Rover Dealers and then I had the reassurance of a warranty on both cars in case if any problems.

I bought from 75 from Central Garages Torbay and my ZTT from AE Wilcox at Wickwar.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:16   #13
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Mostly EBay.
Traders tend to auction their part exchange vehicles as it's easier than driving it miles to the auction house. I have got some lovely cars for just a few hundred pounds, low miles and history but the MGR badge on the boot has kept many buyers away. Their loss, my gain.
When I view cars from Autotrader, the dealers have "talked up" the car and I tend to be disappointed when I turn up. Those cars are their retail stock and should be the best they have but it's not always the case. There will probably be a nice little Rover 25 sat at the back of his forecourt waiting for its journey of death to the scrap yard. £200 later its coming home with me!
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:25   #14
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

Gumtree and ebay... as I tend to buy cars at the cheaper end of the market and sort them out.. but... I can and are prepared to do the work..

but thats just me... I can understand people buying from forecourts for higher prices..
but that doesnt mean they aren't buying trouble...

anyway - everyone to their own..

Kev
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:49   #15
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Me! Too scared of buying something that will die; the idea of a warranty, even a limited one, is just too much of a safety net for me. I've seen loads of MG ZT's and 75's on eBay that I really wanted, that were much cheaper then the 75 I ended up getting, but was too scared to buy one. When people lift the bonnet to show me the engine, I just look and go, "yep, that's an engine" and close the bonnet again. Wouldn't know if it was an actual engine or a box of magnets with the word "engine" stencilled on.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:02   #16
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
I alway look on Autotrader. And I alway think that gumtree and ebay will lead to trouble.

Am i wrong?
That may have been the case many year ago, but ebay have now taken on a whole new platform where reputable business's/companies pretty much dominate the site.

You will find traders advertising the same car advert on autotrader, ebay, Gumtree and all the second hand car market sites, even the private individual seller knows how powerful a-machine ebay can be when selling the family motor.

If you want a bargain, then visit your local vehicle auction in person. Most dealer/trader vehicles you see on the forecourts/traders websites come from the vehicle auctions anyway, then traders only resell them on ebay anyway, its one big con, you just need to cut-out the middle man.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:24   #17
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
...If you want a bargain, then visit your local vehicle auction in person. Most dealer/trader vehicles you see on the forecourts/traders websites come from the vehicle auctions anyway, then traders only resell them on ebay anyway, its one big con, you just need to cut-out the middle man.
Agree. I've bought two cars at auction (yes, both Rovers) and saved myself £1000-£1500 in each case over dealer prices. Both cars were trade-ins from one of the larger dealer chains in the south-east (who I knew wouldn't put a used car on their forecourt if it had done more than 50,000 miles) and both worked out fine. For me the main reason I haven't been there in recent years is that the only auction house near me only does sales mid-week, meaning I'd have to use up a precious day's leave from work to go down there and bid.

It's not for everyone I agree, but there are good cars to be had among the junk. I wouldn't buy a privately entered car from an auction, but those from the bigger chains, ex-lease, ex-motability etc are worth a look . I bought and used this book as a guide, it may be a little out of date, but most of the advice still stands.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buying-Barg.../dp/0709056281
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:34   #18
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I bought my latest car from a local independent dealer, he only keeps a dozen or so cars on his forecourt, most of his sales being 'to order'.

I told him what my budget was, the make and model I was looking for, and he sourced exactly what I wanted, even down to the interior colour and spec. OK, it took about a month or so for him to find it, but I wasn't in any particular hurry.

It was a part-ex taken by an Audi dealer in Leeds, which he'd seen through the trade.

His thinking is that if I didn't like it once he'd bought it, as it was good enough for me to have bought, it would be good enough for his forecourt.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:39   #19
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Agree. I've bought two cars at auction (yes, both Rovers) and saved myself £1000-£1500 in each case over dealer prices. Both cars were trade-ins from one of the larger dealer chains in the south-east (who I knew wouldn't put a used car on their forecourt if it had done more than 50,000 miles) and both worked out fine. For me the main reason I haven't been there in recent years is that the only auction house near me only does sales mid-week, meaning I'd have to use up a precious day's leave from work to go down there and bid.

It's not for everyone I agree, but there are good cars to be had among the junk. I wouldn't buy a privately entered car from an auction, but those from the bigger chains, ex-lease, ex-motability etc are worth a look . I bought and used this book as a guide, it may be a little out of date, but most of the advice still stands.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buying-Barg.../dp/0709056281
Its a great day out for some, people want to look for cars from the 'Main Agents' vehicle trade-ins from the large dealer chains. These are the ones that are generally sound and what the second hand car trader wants, you just need to beat them at their own game.

If two/three of you go to the auctions, get chatting to the traders, most are a friendly bunch and you can learn a thing or two. If you keep them chatting at the crucial moment during bidding, distract them, make them lose their concentration and you go in for the kill...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:24   #20
cahill17
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon

Default car

Got my 04 plate facelift white gold connie se diesel from gumtree .Full service history 6 months mot £450 bargain !
cahill17 is offline   Reply With Quote