Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 15:41   #11
darwins

MG ZT-T

i was in the car trade for quite a while, if i was to buy a car stating the belts had been done, i think i would still change them myself, unless i knew the garage well. i have many stories of places charging and not doing belts
darwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:23   #12
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
Rick, do you mind if I ask you how many you've sold?

It's just that over here. without the belts done we consider them to be scrap value plus a small allowance for condition.
Why does how many i've sold matter? You dont need to be a car trader to know how much they go for on average.

There's no way a 49k mile mint example will sell for a £200 scrap value (if you're lucky) just because the belts haven't recently been done
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 22nd March 2017 at 16:27..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:31   #13
EHD1978
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer & MG ZT 190 SE

I have a 74k miles 190 SE to sell soon that has no belt history. It's been unused since last June. There's no way I'm selling it for scrap just because of the belts! I'd rather store it indefinitely. Perhaps I will get the belts done, but then someone will probably still try and haggle the price down too much. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle of selling.

2004 Rover 75 Contemporary SE Tourer 2.5
2004 MG ZT 190 SE (Car number 96 of 151)
EHD1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:35   #14
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

The purchaser might not care, and yours is £450 more expensive than another car.

Or maybe they can DIY, in which case yours is £300 more expensive than another car.

I wouldn't bother.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:37   #15
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Why does how many i've sold matter? .
More than a bit hostile mate - it was a simple question.

And you're right, you don't need to be a car trader. There's a vast difference between the value of these cars here and the value on the mainland so I was wondering if you were speaking from experience or not.

For example, there's a 2.0 v6 moonstone tourer been on sale here for almost five months. It started out at £1295, is now being offered at £895 and still remains unsold with the consensus being that without proof the belts have been done it's a £300 car.

That could be unique to n.i, or it could be a nationwide phenomena hence my asking you the question I asked.

Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:39   #16
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

I've said it time and time again, throwing parts at an old car will never get your money back when you sell it. If a prospective sale is possible then you can offer to go some way if the purchaser wishes but i still think it won't make huge economic sense.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:41   #17
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
More than a bit hostile mate - it was a simple question.

And you're right, you don't need to be a car trader. There's a vast difference between the value of these cars here and the value on the mainland so I was wondering if you were speaking from experience or not.

For example, there's a 2.0 v6 moonstone tourer been on sale here for almost five months. It started out at £1295, is now being offered at £895 and still remains unsold with the consensus being that without proof the belts have been done it's a £300 car.

That could be unique to n.i, or it could be a nationwide phenomena hence my asking you the question I asked.

Over priced, 2l V6 in a tourer, greedy and low torque, new or old belts it's just too expensive.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:46   #18
Rooney
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Over priced, 2l V6 in a tourer, greedy and low torque, new or old belts it's just too expensive.
It's too expensive for YOUR market, it's about right for our market if the belts are done.

We have a lot fewer to choose from without collection costs so reasonable examples sell for more here than they would in Scotland.

Old 22nd March 2017, 16:54   #19
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
It's too expensive for YOUR market, it's about right for our market if the belts are done.

We have a lot fewer to choose from without collection costs so reasonable examples sell for more here than they would in Scotland.

I don't know about that. The 2.0 V6 is a revvy unit with torque and BHP high up the rev range, it was never the quickest in the saloon and not the most economical, in the heavier tourer it's worse, that and a full load it's dreadful, trust me I've driven one loaded up. Ok they are silky smooth but that's it's only saving grace.
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:59   #20
Rooney
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I don't know about that. The 2.0 V6 is a revvy unit with torque and BHP high up the rev range, it was never the quickest in the saloon and not the most economical, in the heavier tourer it's worse, that and a full load it's dreadful, trust me I've driven one loaded up. Ok they are silky smooth but that's it's only saving grace.
That's a good critique of the variant murphy, thanks and I'll actually use it to try and convince my brother that my original advice not to go for one of those (not the moonstone in question) was accurate.

Notwithstanding, the car in question would still be fairly attractive here at a grand if the belts were done