Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 15:52   #1
Minimosher666
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default fan and rattle problem V6

Hi, I have had my 2.5 V6 beast for 3 weeks now. over the last 2 weeks i've noticed a rattle coming from the fan when i turn left at slow speed. This only happens when the fan is running though (which is quiet often, no idea why either!!)
Anyone have any ideas or have experienced this problem?

Many thanks Pete
Minimosher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:07   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Does the sound change when turning at a slower or faster speed speed
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:17   #3
Minimosher666
Regular poster

MG ZT

it's the same sound. I first thought it was the tyre rubbing the inner wing, but it wasn't. I'm taking to the garage i bought it from on Monday to get them to fix it i think.
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:28   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Do you have the aircon running when you turn the steering and hear the noise, could it be something on the auxiliary-belt side of things such as the A/C pump, power steering etc?

Your fan shouldn't be running often in this cold cool weather, you may have a coolant leak, or A/C is always on.

Do you know the history of the car, has the fan been damaged in some way, either by a previous accident, bent panels, something fowling the fan blades etc.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:41   #5
Minimosher666
Regular poster

MG ZT

The A/C isn't running, but the heat that comes through even turned off is high. I haven't got a clue if the car has had a front end crunch. The coolant is still at the same level it was when i did my usual checks 2 weeks ago.
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:51   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimosher666 View Post
The A/C isn't running, but the heat that comes through even turned off is high. I haven't got a clue if the car has had a front end crunch. The coolant is still at the same level it was when i did my usual checks 2 weeks ago.
Where is the coolant level, are you having to top up with coolant on a regular basis?

It sounds like you have two issues going on, or both issues could be related to just one (the fan rattle when turning, and your fan often being on).

Have you performed the digital temp test using your IPK, take your car for a run and perform this test before you set off, check what the engine temp is doing.

Old 23rd March 2017, 18:43   #7
Minimosher666
Regular poster

MG ZT

Thanks will do this test. I've not needed to top the coolant up in the 3 weeks i've had the car. I've just been out in the car and it went from cold on the dial on the dash to halfway(which is where it always stays) in about 3 mins. That seems very odd to me. I will be telling the garage this on Monday when i take it back to them under it's warranty.
Old 24th March 2017, 09:31   #8
Minimosher666
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Update

Just checked the coolant levels. I've just put nearly 4 litres of water in. I think she was empty. No water in the oil and no oil in the water either. So it's a water leak somewhere. Plus there's the rattle to sort too. Hopefully small jobs.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hope to meet you at some point in the future too.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:25   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimosher666 View Post
Just checked the coolant levels. I've just put nearly 4 litres of water in. I think she was empty. No water in the oil and no oil in the water either. So it's a water leak somewhere. Plus there's the rattle to sort too. Hopefully small jobs.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hope to meet you at some point in the future too.
This will be why you keep hearing you fan running, your engine is running too hot.

Check the plastic thermostat housing for leaks, the thermostat is located in the 'V' (top of engine).

Take the top plastic engine cover off (2x bolts) and peer through the top of the manifold after a run, you may see coolant laying or pink staining which means the stat housing is leaking coolant.

The water-pump is another cause for leaking coolant, this tends to be a slow leak which is not always easily visible. Check under the car on left side front for droplets of water.

Get your garage to check the above if you cant, make sure they do check for coolant laying in the 'V' of the engine, this will be the thermostat housing leaking, thats all. Just make sure they dont automatically think its the head gasket, 9 times out of 10 its just the stat housing at fault when it comes to the V6.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dallas; 24th March 2017 at 10:47..
Old 24th March 2017, 12:14   #10
Minimosher666
Regular poster

MG ZT

Thanks Dallas for the info. I'll have a look at it when i get back home later. Will keep you informed.