Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd March 2017, 16:08   #1
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Default Off to see an E Class tomorrow

It's a 2004 270cdi estate with a towbar, FSH and 178 miles on the clock. The high(ish) miles bothers me a bit but I'm hoping that, if it's been looked after well anything that has needed changing has been changed along the way.

I'll take it for a test drive and give it a look over but it's a couple of years since I bought a car, so if you have any tips on inspecting it and haggling I'll be eternally grateful.

I'll mothball the 75 for posterior.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:57   #2
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Check the wheel arches for signs of blistering and read the service history carefully.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:33   #3
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_mike View Post
Check the wheel arches for signs of blistering and read the service history carefully.

Mike
Cheers Mike. Its a facelift E which shouldn't be too bad for rot.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:14   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

1. The rust problems were addressed from the 2006 facelift version of the W211 e-class. So, check for wheel arch rust as advised above.

2. Check the date of manufacture on the SBC module (looking under the bonnet, it is the unit on the driver's side with brake pipes coming out of the top. It should have been replaced but if it is more than 3-4 years old, budget around £1k to £1.2k for replacement including coding in the car.

3. Check for smooth gear changes without any gearbox noises. Also, the greabox should be vibration free.

4. Check for smooth braking - again could indicate SBC faults if not smooth.

5. Check for broken springs. It's not just a 75 problem

Good luck.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:29   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

If it has any faults don't just presume it will be a cheap fix, some Mercedes parts prices especially the parts that are only available through them can be eye wateringly expensive.

Take an OBD code reader with you, plug it in and it will tell you if the seller is trying to hide anything electrically. Warning lights can be removed or codes can be deleted but the ECU wont lie. I know a Merc estate that once quizzed electrically showed dozens of faults, they could all be cleared but were all back again once driven and the systems exercised.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote