Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2023, 18:16   #1
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Indicator Electrical Issue

Hello Chaps,

For the last few days on my tourer I've had an intermittent bulb warning light concerning the nearside indicator, sometimes it will be off and the indicator will tick normally, other times it will be on and tick quickly as if the bulb has gone. I waited until I got a chance to buy a replacement bulb and changed it today but there was no difference. Now that I've checked things over the symptoms are that the indicator and (I think) reversing light come on dimly when indicating and also when braking. I've also noticed in this rain that if the wipers are on and I brake, the rear wiper comes on. I'm going to check behind the boot trim tomorrow and see if there is an earth point behind there which may be causing the problem. Is there anything else I should check? The other side works normally.
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 18:48   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferiesFarnol View Post
Hello Chaps,

For the last few days on my tourer I've had an intermittent bulb warning light concerning the nearside indicator, sometimes it will be off and the indicator will tick normally, other times it will be on and tick quickly as if the bulb has gone. I waited until I got a chance to buy a replacement bulb and changed it today but there was no difference. Now that I've checked things over the symptoms are that the indicator and (I think) reversing light come on dimly when indicating and also when braking. I've also noticed in this rain that if the wipers are on and I brake, the rear wiper comes on. I'm going to check behind the boot trim tomorrow and see if there is an earth point behind there which may be causing the problem. Is there anything else I should check? The other side works normally.
Check for rainwater in the spare wheel well or gathering inside around the boot cill below the rear light clusters then you've got a leak(s). To fix this problem I think water gets in somewhere/anywhere in the region of the boot lid gutter and tracks towards the rear cluster on the inside of the rear wheel arch (it's follows gravity/the shape of the wing) and drips onto the light housing and gets into the cluster multi-plug. I believe the caulk used during assembly by MGR has reached end-of-life and cracks/shrinks. Check all the bodywork seams in the areas mentioned (they are overpainted so it needs a very close inspection), carefully rack out all the old caulk and re-seal (from a pressure gun) with something like Sikaflex 521UV (which must be used in conjunction with a pre-treatment activator). It's tricky work, I'm still finding leaks and it's driving me crazy - I have a Hi-line, water's already killed the radio module and caused no end of faults from both light clusters (by the way the terminals will all need to be withdrawn from the multi-plug, carefully cleaned individually and given a good dab of Vaseline before refitting likewise the cluster track tabs.
Good luck.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2023, 20:55   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Remove the connector that goes into the rear light, I bet it has corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 11th March 2023, 07:07   #4
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks to both of you for your helpful suggestions. I've been fighting against leaks in the boot area ever since I got the car, such is the life of a tourer owner! I will investigate today and let you know what I come up with.
Old 11th March 2023, 15:59   #5
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Problem solved! I got some new ring connectors and reattached the broken wire and that fixed all the issues.

Now to get some new clips for the rear lights...

Old 13th March 2023, 21:22   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferiesFarnol View Post
Problem solved! I got some new ring connectors and reattached the broken wire and that fixed all the issues.

Now to get some new clips for the rear lights...

Good bit of sleuthing, glad you got it sorted. My reply was a bit misleading (I'm clearly not reading posts properly....), I was ranting about saloon leaks.
Your earth's have corroded by what looks like leaking water so you need to track those down. On the Tourer if it's not the rear wheel arch trim clip fastenings letting in the water then the 5th door hinge fastenings are a possibility, remove each bolt and refit along with some Sikaflex sealant.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote