Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2012, 10:14   #1
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Default Daft User - FHB - I think I have one

Hi, this is going to sound daft I know.... but ...

I was reading articles about those fortunate enough to have a FBH, think that sounds like a good idea. So I looked up FBH's on Ebay to see how much they might be. Looking at the photos I am sure there is already one in my car! I remember the rubber pipe work looks similar and have seen what looks like the verticle stainless steel pipe pointing down to the floor through a hole in the belly engine cover.

So ... if I have one, can anyone tell this numpty how I would make it work? When does it fire up? How would I know its working? What does it actually do (warm the engine?)? Whats the real benefit of having it anyway?

I've got a 2002 CDT Tourer Connoisseur (SE I think, as it has reverse sensors and walnut steering wheel)

Thanks,

Rich
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 10:25   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Right well if you have one it'll be bolted to the front of the battery tray & will have 2 electrical connectors in the top of it. It should automatically fire up when you start the car at temps below 5 degrees C, this acts as an auxilliary heater to speed up your warming up proccess.

If you are posh you might have a timer in the centre armrest which can be programmed for 3 runs per day & can also be overridden, this doesn't require the engine to be running & is used to pre warm the engine, this is normally fitted in conjunction with a remote plip which does the same as the override button.
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 11:13   #3
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

EXCELLENT! Thanks for the confirmation!

I had a look at youtube and there is a clip of one on there, so I ceratinly have one ... which I assume is a good thing. As per you comment, I guess its to a.help the engine warm up b.help warm the passengers up and c.help with fuel economy?

As it happens I dont have the centre console controller under the armrest. I remember seeing this item in the R75 handbook. But I guess it perhaps be retro fitted as I already have the FBH?

This all explains why the car makes a differnt noise in the morning when it starts up. I makes a low pitch rumble which sounds like air running through a pipe. I can hear it inside the house. Also white smoke OR whilte vapour comes out from underneath the car just in front of the passenger front wheel. All normal I assume?

Cheers,

Rich
Old 17th January 2012, 14:19   #4
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post

I had a look at youtube and there is a clip of one on there, so I ceratinly have one ... which I assume is a good thing. As per you comment, I guess its to a.help the engine warm up b.help warm the passengers up and c.help with fuel economy?
That's the idea yeah

Quote:
As it happens I dont have the centre console controller under the armrest. I remember seeing this item in the R75 handbook. But I guess it perhaps be retro fitted as I already have the FBH?
It can be done as a retrofit but the proper kits are pricey

Quote:
This all explains why the car makes a differnt noise in the morning when it starts up. I makes a low pitch rumble which sounds like air running through a pipe. I can hear it inside the house. Also white smoke OR whilte vapour comes out from underneath the car just in front of the passenger front wheel. All normal I assume?
Well that all means it's working, they shouldn't be particularly smokey but it's normally visible
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 14:23   #5
donnylad
Avid contributor

Rover 75

after reading this i checked and realised i have one too! dont have the posh timer thingy tho :/
donnylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 15:35   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

Cheers,

Rich
It should maybe produce a negligeable amount of steam, but no smoke at all. Difficult to tell the difference, because the smoke can be white like the steam - best way is to smell it. It should only produce a slight smell and only when it first fires. If that is not the case, it needs a service - see link below.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 16:02   #7
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Hi guys,

Re the 'posh timer thingy'.

It's correctly called a Webasto Thermo-Top Digital Timer Part No 1530

If it's correctly wired up it can do a lot more than just warm up the coolant in the engine.

It can start up the heater blower/fan, defrost the windscreen and warm the cabin too.

It works rather like a domestic central heating system.

If you press the flame button it will switch on right away and run for approx 30 minutes.

If you set one of the 3 possible timed start ups, then at the programmed time it will fire up and run for 30 minutes.

You need to have left the car having selected a temperature, a distribution level and a blower speed of course for this to happen - the thing is clever, but it isn't psychic.

You can buy a suitable timer on eBay for around £50. Watch out for the correct 12v version as these Thermo-Tops are a standard fitment in many 24v HGVs as a night heater.

Webasto's web-site gives the fitting instructions & wiring diagrams if you buy a 2nd hand one without any info.

A wonderful device - once you've experienced the timer - no more scrapers - no more chilly cabin on frosty mornings! Heaven.

I'm sure the remote control 'blip' correctly called a Webasto Telestart T70 is a clever bit of kit too - but sadly I don't have one - yet.

Cheers, Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 16:55   #8
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

BRILLIANT !! Thanks chaps for all these posts, really apprecaite it.

This website sure is fantastic ... one of the few places where you can "Put gargabe in and a SENSIBLE answer OUT!! "

Curiously my wife drives the car more than I do, she likes it but feels the cold esp carrying our 18mth daughter to kiddie care in the morning. If I can get the heater to warm up the inside and defrost it, she'll think she's in car heaven. Even better if I can get the heated seats to work!!

Am on the look out for a decent set of beige leather memoery seats at the moment if anyone come across any. The car is new to us but at 93k the drivers seat is a bit shot. Otherwise for £1700 its a superb motor.

Cheers,

Rich.
Old 17th January 2012, 17:34   #9
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I have a remote for mine, (a gift from Starman ) It allows me to start the fbh up before I go out to the car, so when I get to the car the heater works immediately coz the engines already fully warmed up.

I do have the Grey smoke when it first starts up though. And from the smell it's unburnt fuel. It is either firing up late, (oeerr) or purging after the fuel has been on.. .So I will have to get it serviced asap...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 18:38   #10
donnylad
Avid contributor

Rover 75

where can we get the fobs to do it then? and do they have to be programmed to the ecu or somehting?
donnylad is offline   Reply With Quote