Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2015, 13:56   #21
martyw

2003 Rover 75 1.8 Turbo SE saloon

Hi,
I talked to the turbo cassette manufacture this morning and although he couldn`t give a definite answer, he said there was a probability that coolant may have been ejected from the turbo in to the exhaust depending on the amount of damage caused to the internals ie cracks to the cast due to heat and movement from the worn bearing. Unfortunately I dont know how long the engine was run with the turbo in this condition, I do know however that in the vehicles history going back to early 2014 that there was an unexplained coolant loss because I have the garage receipt for the work carried out. The receipt is for changing the inlet manifold gasket but the work sheet is worded unexplained water loss. I think I will just carry on and complete my repairs, I have decided to change the head gasket back to a MLS, using a Victor Reinz gasket. I have ordered a new cassette for the turbo and I will fit that when it arrives. I intend to keep the car for at least 3 or 4 years unless I find a MG ZT 190 before that, but I am one of those people that wont be able to settle and enjoy the car knowing that I may have missed something.
Thanks for all your help Regards Marty

Last edited by martyw; 22nd July 2015 at 15:13..
martyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:43   #22
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

irespective of whether the turbo is causing your issue, it needs fixing.
Personally i think its unlikely, and almost impossible, other than a cracked turbo housing theres no way it could happen.
I suspect your water "loss" was air being evacuated, who knows about the missfire.
However, i'm prepared to be proved wrong.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:55   #23
martyw

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
irespective of whether the turbo is causing your issue, it needs fixing.
Personally i think its unlikely, and almost impossible, other than a cracked turbo housing theres no way it could happen.
I suspect your water "loss" was air being evacuated, who knows about the missfire.
However, i'm prepared to be proved wrong.
Hi, it is a mystery, the 1.8 turbo is supposed to take 6.2 litres of coolant according to the information notice on the bonnet shut panel. This has taken 7 litres after bleeding and then another .75 litre on Monday. I also have a Rover 75 2.5 V6 and replaced the coolant last year on this car so I do have experience with the bleeding of these systems. God knows where the coolant went, it wasn't lost through air evacuation because I ensured that all the air was released from the system before taking the car out on the road and then checking the level before several engine runs to operating temp before the MOT.
The problem is a long running one according to history of the car, so only when all the repairs are completed will I know if changing the turbo cures the problem.
Regards Marty
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:53   #24
martyw

I just wanted to make it clear that the bleeding of the system was completed properly. I have been working on the car over several months to give me something to do has a hobby after my forced early retirement due to rib damage, so everything I have done on the car has been checked and then checked again. The only thing I didn't check was the turbo and that was only because the history shows it was fitted with a new one 3 years ago, or should I say the last owner was charged for a new one.
You live and learn, actually while I think about it I took an handful of the exhaust fumes when I returned home which was light grey in colour and it didnt smell like oil. Thats why the first thing I did was check the piston tops and plugs to see if any of them showed signs of water, which they didnt, if any thing the mixture looked to rich ie sooting. The emissions readings were perfect on the MOT. I love working on cars, I have done it for most of my life and I am now 60, I like to think that I have come across most problems and been able to sort them my self. However there's always that one problem that shows it self and you are unsure what to do about it. That is where this and other forums are a god send, answers are only a question away.
Regards Marty

Last edited by martyw; 22nd July 2015 at 21:03..
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:52   #25
martyw

Default Conclusion to the problem.

Sorry about the late update to this problem due to my OP. I decided to change the head gasket as well as the turbo cassette in the end. On removing the head I had some how managed to miss a small water chase on the head right over the fire ring on cylinder three. The water chase was no more than 7.5mm long and resembled a very small scratch, but you could see where the coolant had been released in to the cylinder. I had the head pressure tested and then skimmed by 8 thou to remove the chase and then I refitted the head using a Victor Reinz MLS gasket.
I changed the turbo cassette and all seems to be fine now although the car as only travelled 42 miles. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Regards Marty