Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2008, 10:47   #1
Bagpuss

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 2.5 V6 head gasket - some advice please

Hi All,

My trusty Rover 75 has just died with a suspected head gasket failure.

I had been having some problems with the water level dropping for a little while, but it never seemed that serious, so I just kept topping up the header tank.

Recently, the temperature gauge started playing up. One minute it would be fine, the next it would just jump up to max., then back to normal.

My local garage diagnosed the thermostat as the problem, saying that they sometimes leak, and changed it. The problem seemed to have gone.

About 4 weeks later (just as my wife was driving it to Cornwall, where we were moving to), the problem started again with the temperature gauge, and then the car overheated. It made the rest of the journey on the back of an AA truck.

The local garage here in Cornwall has diagnosed head gasket failure, but say they can't be sure which one, so will have to take both heads off to find out. Is this likely? Is there no way to pressure test to see which one it is?

They've quoted £1400 for doing the job, which I think is a bit steep. Can anyone comment?

I'm torn between having the car fixed (which I really can't afford), or just selling is as it is.

Apart from the head gasket, the car is in great condition. It's a racing green Connoisseur that's done 118,000 miles and has a full service history. The clutch has recently been replaced, as has the exhaust and cambelt.

If I don't get it fixed, can anyone give me an idea of what it might be worth?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 11:36   #2
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Have you checked yourself for the usual signs like water in the oil etc. The v6 is not known for hgf like the 4-cylinders and many garages will just tar them with the same brush when they here you say "it's a Rover". Chances are it could be the water pump that is leaking, another faulty thermostat or you could be losing water through a faulty header tank/cap.

Regards
Boz
Boz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 06:17   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The V6 seems to fail mainly because of water loss, that goes un-noticed and un-detected.
The main culprit is the plastic housing, containing the thermostat. There seems to be a lifespan of about 5 to 6 years, after which it starts to leak. The problem is not helped by the useless temperature gauge the car is issued with.
You can do a search, I have had the exact same problem. Mine is now cured, but notice that a loose liner is likely, and also very likely not to be discovered by the garage.

Good luck.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 07:44   #4
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Depending where in the country you are, give Lates a shout.

www.lates600.com
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2008, 21:09   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

If HGF has happened I would change both gaskets, That sounds a bit expensive to me but prices vary around the country
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote