Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd April 2024, 13:25   #1
sliver
sliver

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default slips when in 3rd(auto)

r75 2.5 v6, hi everyone, gearbox fluid changed a couple of weeks ago checked level again last week. when in drive or manual shift it slips in third gear when the power increases, just drove it again in manual shift only just to prove thats whats happening. as i have read else where on the forum could this be a loss of oil pressure and could someone explain what this reverse piston is. many thanks to one and all once this is fixed i'll be cruising.
sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 19:56   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

What fluid did you use for the fluid change ? Also did you use the official mgrover proceedure , flat surface/ worked through the gears and up to temperature ? ...

Last edited by xsport; 23rd April 2024 at 20:07..
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 21:02   #3
sliver
sliver

ROVER 75 SALOON

Thanks for your response much appreciated, followed procedure on the forum, but weren't sure how to monitor the temperature, waited until the gear box felt reasonably warm, only had the car a couple of months. Dropped oil first time only got 2ltrs out instead of 4,put just over 4 back in and have put another ltr in recently to do a level check. Resistance readings for solenoids all in range, may drop half oil out again but will read up on how to monitor temperature, not sure how to do it with engine running.
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:20   #4
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Was the problem there before the fluid change, or did it occur after?

Does it slip constantly, or is it a brief slip?
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 07:17   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
... will read up on how to monitor temperature, not sure how to do it with engine running.
That's a very good point Steve which I don't think anyone has raised before.
Clearly you wouldn't want to run the engine with automatic gearbox sensors and solenoid valves disconnected.

On the face of it the answer would appear to be to stop your warm engine before separating connector C0243 then take a resistance reading to reveal the fluid temperature. Although somewhat "hit and miss" I can't think of a better way at the moment. I don't believe that absolute precision is necessary since before the advent of on-board diagnostics, correct fluid level was successfully achieved using a gearbox "at normal operating temperature" and a dipstick.

Simon
Old 24th April 2024, 09:04   #6
sliver
sliver

ROVER 75 SALOON

morning all, thanks for your replies, it never slipped it's gears before being run on low gearbox oil, EP fault showed up, had to be recovered, would imagine it got quite hot.In respect of temperature for oil change think i'll stick to old school method. Did have it plugged in while having MOT but no codes showing, ask garage if they had T4 diagnostics, don't think they had it don't know if it makes a difference, he did have £4000 worth of equipment. Thanks Steve.
Old 24th April 2024, 16:57   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Your car is a 99 model and these were the earlier versions of box that gave rise to the reverse piston issues. They were later upgraded with a stronger reverse piston. A few of these cars had problems in the early days but by no means all of them. I think the loss of reverse gear and eventually others followed with this fault , which yours does not seem to be. You have not said which fluid you have used ,this is very important, and there is a list of compatible oils on here if you do a search using the search bar at the top.
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 17:43   #8
sliver
sliver

ROVER 75 SALOON

Thanks xsport, missed that off, N402, going to drop another 4ltrs tomorrow make sure its accurate, will let you know, sorry to here the bad news, hope your both ok.
Old 27th April 2024, 13:54   #9
sliver
sliver

ROVER 75 SALOON

Hi,r75 2.5 v6 1999 auto, update, checked oil levels and test run car before stripping gearbox, 3rd gear slipping out at 3,000 revs. Now got reverse piston on bench looks mint, no cracks, no signs of burning on anything/clutch plates etc. One rubber o ring seal had a piece broken out don't think i did it because i could see the tail end of it sticking out before pulling apart, piece was still with the unit. should i just replace the o ring seals and damaged circlip or do i need to go further. mot station said it may be a replacement gearbox because of the grey primer on it, also where is the best place to buy replacement parts for the gearbox. Thanks Steve.
Old 27th April 2024, 16:36   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
... where is the best place to buy replacement parts for the gearbox. Thanks Steve.
J.P. Automatic Transmissions south of Bristol Steve.

Simon