Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th January 2010, 12:29   #1
Toby Waters
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon (CDTi)

Default Brake Problem (lost braking efficiency)

I’ve noticed a very occasional burning smell in my car (2004 Rover 75 CDTi) over the course of the last couple of months which I suspected was the clutch on its way out (desperately hoping that this was not the case). However, the clutch does not slip and although it is fairly heavy, appears to do its job, so I’ve just left it alone to see if it does start to slip.

This morning, after starting off my journey to work, I applied the brakes at a junction near my house and had to use an awful lot of pressure to get the car to stop (no skidding in the snow/abs not kicking in). The problem appeared to get better during the journey although it could be that I was getting used to them. I suspected a problem with the servo unit, valve or pipework but these appear to be ok – no audible air leaks, wear or splits and the brake pedal depresses further when the car is started. Checked the brake fluid and it is low and I’m now starting to suspect that a caliper may be sticking intermittently (causing the smell) and may have boiled the brake fluid causing the brakes to lose efficiency.

Pads and discs are OK, no sign of any leaks from the caliper seals (although its very difficult to see in this weather). I intend to bleed the system tonight with fresh fluid and check out the calipers at the weekend, with a view to either re-build with new seals or fit recon units (depending on cost). Does this sound sensibly? Any other ideas/suggestions?

Sorry about the lengthy post!

Many Thanks

Toby
Toby Waters is offline   Reply With Quote