Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: The Midlands
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2013, 21:38   #1
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

Default Ratae run 2013

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ROVER 75 OWNERS CLUB
RATAE RUN 2013 AND IS A EVENT via THE SLMGC

Good news is this means 2013 has every chance of being an even better MG summer with plenty of sun, and here we are at that time of year when we begin to make plans for the coming MG summer.

The annual Ratae Road Run is a well-established club run organized by the South Leicester MG club. In previous years we have explored the Leicestershire and surrounding countryside with its picturesque villages. This year we have decided to venture across the border into Warwickshire concluding the Ratae Run at a location which offers something of interest for everyone. This year the Ratae Run will finish at the Coventry Transport Museum, parking up on the Millennium Place, directly in front of the museum, and is in the very heart of Coventry.
The Coventry Transport Museum houses the most extensive collection of British-made road transport in the world. It is located in Coventry because the city was previously the centre of the British car industry. There are more than 240 cars and commercial vehicles, 100 motorcycles, 200 bicycles and several tractors.
Within easy walking distance is Coventry Cathedral with its combined majestic medieval ruin adjoining awe-inspiring modern buildings and artworks, a symbol of resurrection and reconciliation. Coventry Cathedral – An extraordinary place…..with a story you can’t ignore! For those who are interested in Canals and canal boats, you will find the Coventry canal basin just across the road.
In 2012 the Ratae Run successfully raised £1000.00 which has been donated to the Rainbows hospice for children and young people, Rainbow’s is based in Loughborough.
Registration will be at the White Horse Pub, Broughton Astley. Entry fee includes refreshments with bacon or sausage cob at the start, tulip route guide, Rally Plaque, vouchers for mid-morning coffee stop and entrance to the Coventry Transport Museum. There will also be Trophies for the People’s choice best car in display.
If you would like to join us for this year’s Ratae run please complete the attached registration form and post with your cheque payment for £22.00 made payable to South Leicester MG club.
Kind regards
Graham Dorman
Chairman SLMGOC
The Ratae Run Sunday 9th June 2013
When you have completed the form in Black Ink please send it (Do not email it), along with your cheque or postal order for £22.00 (made payable to South Leicester MG Club) and post it to :
Michael & Gillian Ricketts
South Leicester MG Club
9 Juniper Close
Lutterworth
Leicestershire
LE17 4US

Do not forget to send your entry fee as we can not process your entry without it
It is a condition of the run that your vehicle is roadworthy, taxed and only driven by
Insured drivers at all times
Closing Date 1st. June 2013

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible

Last edited by starbug2; 2nd May 2013 at 20:09..
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 21:45   #2
starbug2
This is my second home

http://www.mgleicester.org/

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
Old 18th February 2013, 21:50   #3
starbug2
This is my second home

Old 18th February 2013, 21:52   #4
starbug2
This is my second home

Roman Leicester
Leicester - RATAE - has, for many years been known as a major Roman town, comprising the most important community in the East Midlands with both trading and commercial links.

Although little remains of the original town of 100 acres, it is probable that in the early years following the Roman Conquest in AD 43, a fort was established ( Ratae roughly translated means FORTRESS or DEFENSIVE SITE) though no trace of this has been found.

Remains of the main public buildings - the FORUM and BASILICA complex and the BATHS, on site at the Jewry Wall Museum, mark the main centre of the tribal area of Corieltauvi.

Roman towns were laid out to a set pattern, with four gates, from which two main roads crossed each other at right angles at the centre of the town. In the 2nd and 3rd centuries Ratae was provided with defences with four main gates, probably with several interval towers.

As we have little evidence of what happened after the 2nd and 3rd centuries the picture of Ratae is very incomplete but there are, at the Jewry Wall Museum, many examples of Roman relics and artifacts: the JEWRY WALL and the foundations in front of it are the remains of the PUBLIC BATHS which lay near the ROMAN FORUM and were built about AD 150; the CYPARISSUS MOSAIC found in 1675, near All Saints Church is one of the earliest recorded discoveries of a mosaic floor in Britain; the PEACOCK PAVEMENT, discovered in 1898 just across the road from the Jewry Wall Museum where the Holiday Inn Hotel now stands; painted plaster work and under floor heating seen at the Norfolk Street Villa, built just outside the town, West of the River Soar.

Everyone is aware of the fine roads of Roman Britain, which are still very much in existence. Until the motorways, these were indeed the basis of our modern system. Everywhere there are many minor roads and lanes; while wide marked roads stride across the landscape. The main routes were centred on London, radiating outwards to Lincoln, Chester, Gloucester, Exeter and Dover while the FOSSE WAY was a relic of a 1st century frontier.

Leicester (Ratae) is bounded by two Roman roads, crossed by two minor and one other Roman route. They are the A5 (Watling Street), the A1 Great North Road (Ermine Street) and Salt Way now mainly Band C roads and the A46 (Fosse Way).

The Ratae Road Run traces some of the Roman roads that surround the beautiful county of Leicestershire.

Old 18th February 2013, 21:54   #5
starbug2
This is my second home

LINK TO LAST YEARS PHOTOS
http://s166.beta.photobucket.com/use...e%20run%202012

LINK TO WEB SITE

NOTE THIS EVENT IS ONE WHERE YOU FOLLOW A TULIP ROUTE SO BEST HAVE SOME ONE WITH YOU TO READ THE MAP/INSTRUCTIONS

Last edited by starbug2; 18th February 2013 at 21:58..
Old 19th February 2013, 08:40   #6
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbug2 View Post
LINK TO LAST YEARS PHOTOS
http://s166.beta.photobucket.com/use...e%20run%202012

LINK TO WEB SITE

NOTE THIS EVENT IS ONE WHERE YOU FOLLOW A TULIP ROUTE SO BEST HAVE SOME ONE WITH YOU TO READ THE MAP/INSTRUCTIONS

Morning Steve you getting paid for pushing this

I will try and join you for this

Rob
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 20:14   #7
starbug2
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleysox View Post
Morning Steve you getting paid for pushing this

I will try and join you for this

Rob
well i am a member of the club and i get to sleep with the..... .....camera
please note you will need to follow a tulip map so you best get a navigator but then i guess compared to planes its not so hard for you you wil need to contact Mr Rickett's via the link as he is the one running the show and all money etc is sent to him .i am just the help

you should get a bacon or sausage sandwich at the start at the pub and a drink in with the fee and something at the half way point . i will be taking photos at a early part of the run , i think nr a ford but yet seen it so don't know if the photo will be in or out of the water .... last time i did the run after all the cars went , but this time i'll leap fog to the half way point and take some photos and then onto Coventry and more photos

i hope you and more can come to this event. we gave £1000 to rainbows . they have had over the years between 70 -120 cars per run i think

Old 22nd February 2013, 19:51   #8
starbug2
This is my second home

this is the map you have to follow from last years......

Old 7th March 2013, 18:20   #9
starbug2
This is my second home

the no. of cars for this is up on last year at this point so may well be around 100 cars

Old 19th March 2013, 16:20   #10
starbug2
This is my second home

bump