Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th April 2017, 18:00   #1
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Default Some thoughts on PoL

Just got home from PoL - weather was lovely with only a few clouds, though as we were on a hillside, it did get a bit nippy when the wind picked up. Still, weather like this can't be complained about especially after last year's snow!

Not sure what happened trying to get into the park in the morning: I arrived at the park around 9:40 but it took an hour to get into the park causing everyone to queue on the roads around - anyone know what the delay was? Speaking of queues, there was a bit of one for the 'thunderbox' style toilets, though they didn't smell and as far as I'm aware, didn't run out of water to flush with, which I was pleasantly surprised by especially given there must have been a few thousand people there. There was even queues for the burger/coffee vans, though at the prices being charged (£4.50 for just a burger, £3 for coffee or just chips) I assume they were queuing to photograph the price list!

As for the cars themselves, there were some real beauties there and it was clear many of them were cherished by their owners, whilst others such as my own were more 'daily driver' types replete with battle scars and other such imperfections. There were quite a few too, several hundred at least from an ancient thing with a starting handle at the front, to the latest Chinese MG wotsit, and probably most numerous of all, the 75/ZT models, though there were even a few rarities of these such as the Q-plated coupe. Wish I'd take some photos!

On the way home it struck me that although I'd been passed by many Rovers both there and back, they were all ones at PoL - I realised I hadn't actually seen any Rovers just pottering around on the 70miles each way, and that with a comment from another one of our members about there being hardly any vintage Rovers brought home to me the fact that our cars are now disappearing forever. Only a few years ago I'd have seen at least a few Rovers out and about wherever I went, but time it seems is picking them off like old relations and I suspect PoL in five years could be very much smaller. Even Fauna - as our family calls her - probably won't last more than another few years as she increasingly needs welding and mechanical repairs to get through the MOT each time. I do like driving her and she's got real character that modern cars simply don't have, but money is finite and eventually there'll come a time when she's simply not worth (to me) the cost of the repairs. In the meantime though, if you've not attended a meet before, please do try at least one whilst you still can - just make sure to take your camera and a picnic!