Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2024, 12:22   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Accident. Not good news... End of the road?

Yesterday evening Mrs Andy was negotiating a traffic queue, someone pulled out in front of her, she swiftly stopped to avoid a collision however the van behind her didn't....
His radiator met with the towbar which is now bent, the bumper moved and the tailgate isn't aligned correctly. Fortunately she seems OK.

Details changed etc.
We've notified our insurance Admiral (comprehensive) who appointed their repairer Auxilus I think to look into it. Auxilus have said it's too old an they'll not entertain fixing it, complete loss claim.

In the meanwhile the van drivers insurance Hastings, have allegedly admitted liability and appointed these people to sort a repair and hire car:
https://www.google.com/search?client...3104767C4B/2/4
Anybody had dealngs with them? Is it a scam?
Hastings won't even acknowledge to its that they are dealing with it, won't talk to a 3rd party!

My wife is getting concerned following the reading of reviews, about the credit agreement for the hire vehicle. We're also expecting them to undertake a repair or actually tell us its uneconomical to fix due to potential structural issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20240423-WA0009.jpg (138.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240423-WA0010.jpg (136.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240423-WA0016.jpg (131.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20240423-WA0011.jpg (130.5 KB, 102 views)
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 12:35   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Get Andy (trikey) to have a look at it. Cash settlement and repair may be an option.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 12:54   #3
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

If all fails then THIS is the place to go.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 12:58   #4
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

There isn't a barge pole long enough to separate me from Admiral.

When I had an accident in our old Sedona (insured with Admiral) I was between a traffic island and the kerb, single lane. The guy coming the otherway decided to use my side of the island, hence head on BANG!!!

Admiral appointed some company to 'assist' with our claim, like a fool I agreed. (Note: this company I later found out had their office in the same building as Admiral, with common senior staff).
They provided a volvo C40 as a loan car. Our car was declaired a total loss & Admiral made a derisary offer that I said 'up yours' too.
Loan car was recalled the same day as the offer email, (man arrived and asked for the keys and took it, on the grounds that a settlement had been agreed.
From that point on the appointed helper company did NOT want to know as Admiral had told them a settlement had been reached.

Probably best NOT to say any more, other than I have NEVER gone back or used any associated insurance company.
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 15:07   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Sorry to hear about the accident but at least your wife is ok, and that’s the main thing.

I stopped using Admiral as they seemed to not know the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger. I tried insuring the V8, Pooky Bear, with them but they kept saying that my car had a turbocharger fitted, yes on Banana but not on the Bear. But they weren’t having it. So I went back to Lancaster on both cars.

233,603. That’s meet no.4 done.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 24th April 2024 at 15:11..
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 15:49   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Sorry to hear this. As has been said at least everyone is OK.

You may have seen or recall my "hit and scarper" incident quite a while ago https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=321703.

This was resolved by me through the third party insurance without my insurance company getting involved (save being told as I was required to do) and eventually fully resolved. Yes she was written off but I had the offer of buying her back so if you want to keep her then there's a fighting chance that you'll be able to; albeit with a Cat whatever (N?) marker put against her.

You might not be able to do this if Admiral have formally dealt with your claim. What is their position - If they have made a decision on your claim I think that they have the right/power to just write her off. You might still be able to buy her back and argue about her value but you need to know their formal/contractual (their contract with you when you purchased their insurance - what clause are they using? Specifics and details are crucial. Push for "we used clause 1-27-a-ii" not just "we can and have written her off."

My suggestion/recommendation is to (a) contact Admiral to find out their position and IF you might be able to bypass them, (b) contact Hastings yourself and find out exactly who is doing what and who (yes, their name and position in the company) authorised it.

Remember to keep very good records. Email and online chats with screenshots are great because they are absolutes, not a "remembered" phone call (although these are usually recorded).

Good luck.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 24th April 2024 at 16:00..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 16:45   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I do hope its repairable for you to do. The problem with tailgate damage is that more often than not, the "box" cage is out of square and this renders it a write off. I hope that yours is ok , but worth checking out before taking a chance on repair. Wish all turns out well for you , fingers crossed. ..
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 19:34   #8
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I would say it's highly likely the car will be declared a financial write off.

In my opinion you shouldn't let the car go for 'assessment and/or repair'.

Accept a pay out from the other persons insurance, but not the first offer. Take the money and get the car fixed yourself.

Either way I believe the car will be Category N, but best to keep complete control of the situation yourself. Just my opinion.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 20:01   #9
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

They tried to write mine off with just the scrape on the door, wing and the broken mirror. I negotiated with them for them to pay me in lieu of damages for what it cost to have it repaired and sprayed to save it being written off.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 21:26   #10
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Thanks for all the replies, lots of useful information.

I've had a good look under the back end this afternoon after work, because I hadn't done so previously.
As far as I can see there appears to be no damage to the actual tow bar, it's not bent nor can I see any movement in the fixings underneath. It's sort of an illusion caused by the bent plate and cycle carrier frame that's bolted on.
The bumper has definitely moved forward mainly on the off side. The tailgate seems to have been pushed forward at the lower edge, where the plastic trim is fixed on, possibly causing it to bend slightly.
I've actually got a complete spare tailgate in hff Green which I bought from a local breakers last year. I was intending to fit it because mine is rusting at the top edge, where there had been damage before I bought it. Just never got round to it.
Ironically we're still waiting on the special order new rear number plate that fell off a couple weeks ago on the M5!

Admiral have referred us to Auxilis and closed the claim but said it can be reopened at our discretion.
The man at Auxilus was apparently quite appreciative about the 75s and commented on their quality and decent engine, but said the company wouldn't entertain fixing it.

We can now get Admiral to look into it.
Or go with the people appointed by Hastings. The van driver has confirmed he had contacted Hastings. So this 3rd party lot appear genuine.
My wife had "we buy any old car" value it at £180....
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote