Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2008, 20:16   #1
mike26950

Rover 75 Conn SE Dorchester Red / Aubergine

Default Finally done it - New Alpine IDA X100

For weeks Ive been agonising over what ICE set up I wanted. Ive been so tempted to retrofit a SatNav set up, and actually quite fancied the challenge, but frankly the potential cost put me off. I was always content with my Symphony/glovebox changer, and liked its looks, but things have moved on and a cassette player doesnt cut it these days. Although Im certainly not of the Ipod generation, in fact very much more of the pipe and slippers generation, I decided to take the plunge.
First step was to buy a new 160gb IPOD Classic. Next my entire CD collection (mostly classical many box sets plus some sixties etc), was loaded on the Ipod then listed on Ebay. Just about everything sold bringing in a four figure sum that more than financed this project with plenty spare to placate SWMBO.
I originally intended to go for an Alpine IDA X001 but noticed that its replacement, the IDA-X100 was now available in some markets. I took the plunge and bought one from an Ebay seller in Shanghai for £162 +£20 P&P. It arrived 2 DAYS later nicely packed and accompanied by a commercial invoice for $30 for "car parts", no duty payable. A great start. Its still not available in the UK and will be around £249 from discounters here.
Ebay also produced a correct Rover facia. like new condition but pricey at £40 and an Alpine RUE4202 remote control.
The leads that came with the X100 had bare wire ends, not ISO connectors which I duly bought and spliced on. This works fine but looks untidy so Ebay produced a neater connection. Replacing a Symphony headunit is a piece of cake, everything just plugs in, no wiring is modified and if I ever want to replace the original set up it would take only minutes.
Performance of the X100 is brilliant, control of the Ipod is flawless and the album art displays perfectly. I have over 7000 tracks available and could listen for 22 days 24 hours/day without repeating anything plus I have room on the Ipod for twice as much again. I have run the ipod connection to the glovebox, where the Ipod sits out of sight in its Apple Sock.
I havent yet dealt with the steering wheel controls but am getting the appropriate Incartec connectors. I do find myself regularly using the Alpine hand held remote.
Sound is really good, much better than the Symphony. I had planned on maybe upgrading speakers etc, but frankly dont think it will be necessary, My car already has the 8 speaker set up, which now sounds very good to my ears.
There are a couple of negatives, buying from China gave me an instruction book in Chinese, not really a problem as the English version was already on the Alpine USA web site. More of a problem is that although all radio frequencies are received fine (unlike some USA head units) my far east spec unit doesnt include RDS so I dont see station names etc on the screen. This is annoying and is the price Im paying for being impatient (and saving £70).
Overall however Im delighted with this set up .
Finally I have addressed the Sat Nav part of the equation by buyng a TomTom Go 520 which also gives me bluetooth hands free calling. If you spend some time browsing TomToms website and looking at what the latest generation have to offer you might, like me. have trouble justifying retrofitting the factory set up.

Here are a few pictures

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...neIDA-X100.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...950/131121.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...0/PICT0018.jpg
mike26950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 20:33   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Now I like that........Just found a UK spec one for £236...........might have to see if one of my contacts can get some discount on it......
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote