Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th August 2011, 06:56   #1
gazanson

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rover 75: Air conditioning issue

Just wondering if someone can help me get started diagnosing a recent issue with my air conditioning in my Rover 75 (Tourer 2.5 Connoisseur SE). The unit seems to be working just fine but isn't delivering cold air to the passenger's side of the car, just on the drivers side. There is some variation in temperature on the passenger's side when I attempt to push cold air through, but nowhere near cold enough by comparison with the drivers side. The obvious thought is here's a blockage somewhere, but where/how to get started tracking it down is the question. Any tips gratefully received. :-)
gazanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 08:13   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazanson View Post
... where/how to get started tracking it down is the question. Any tips gratefully received.
Have you tried searching the forum Gary? Others have had this problem but I can't remember what the outcome was.

Simon.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:57   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The passenger side heater flap is not working over its full range. Pivots sticking ???
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 18:32   #4
ASHEEN
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur 165k and still going!

I have the same problem on mine, turns out to be the AC Rad.....In other words the Condenser.

Getting mine sorted this Saturday.

Kind regards
AS M.
Old 1st September 2011, 07:47   #5
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T 2003 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMOTORS View Post
I have the same problem on mine, turns out to be the AC Rad.....In other words the Condenser.
I don't see how this can affect only one side outlet. It must be a faulty flap valve, as Colvert says.

JCW
jcwatrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 16:48   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:

Getting mine sorted this Saturday.

Kind regards
AS M.
But that rad is at the front of the car and any problem there would affect all of the airflow in the car.
Old 1st September 2011, 20:55   #7
ASHEEN
Loves to post

Mine is just not cold anymore. The metal filings are falling away like paper, and there are only a few complete rows left. Touch them and they just shrivel.
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:09   #8
ASHEEN
Loves to post

Default Air Con Ice Cold

Hi All,

With reference to the first thread re: Air Con, fitted a used Air Con Condensor and a Regas, and the air is ICE COLD......Beautiful.

The metal filings which dissipate the hot air were half gone on mine.

If the Air con switch all works, there are no leaks in the pipe, the compressor and fan work, then the problem most probably lies with the Condensor.

All Supplied and Fitted for £45.00 + £45.00 for a regas = £90.00. What a bargain...

Kind regards
AS M.

Last edited by Dragrad; 23rd December 2011 at 22:40.. Reason: Breach of Club Rules
ASHEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:23   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Hi All,

With reference to the first thread re: Air Con, Just went to see Sean, fitted a used Air Con Condensor and a Regas, and the air is ICE COLD......Beautiful.

The metal filings which dissipate the hot air were half gone on mine.

If the Air con switch all works, there are no leaks in the pipe, the compressor and fan work, then the problem most probably lies with the Condensor.

All Supplied and Fitted for £45.00 + £45.00 for a regas = £90.00. What a bargain...

Kind regards
AS M.
It's good to see your problem is solved but it's NOT the same problem the OP has. Lol.
Old 4th September 2011, 17:16   #10
ASHEEN
Loves to post

Hi, if you refer to my original thread, I Had a similar problem, the passenger side vent was slightly warmer than the drivers side, but they wernt both cold, but slightly cooler than without the air con on. Through a process of elimination, it had to be the condensor/evaporator. Thankfully they come built in with each other. Only downside, I lost the £50.00 gas that I had refilled a few months earlier at Kwik fit. If the clutch on the compressor and fan are working, no leaks in the pipes, then the problem lies with the condensor/evaporator. The aircon system is robust and can only fail if one of the components are at fault. I doubt that the heater vents are stuck as that is not a common fault on thes cars or the temperature gauge was somehow stuck. That was what I first thought, but then the temperature control panel would be at fault, and again, these rarely fail.

The Condensor is the item that cools down the air and dissipates the heat. It may be that his condensor is losing its effficiency.

As each year passes, these car will develop more problems, and we are already seeing a glut of HGF's on the 1.8T's, 2.0V6's and other petrol variants. They are getting old and beyond thier usefulness (in terms of engine design and build quality in terms of age and mileage), so things will start to fail. The Diesels seem to be faring better, but having said that, the condensor on mine was shot! The fan has been replaced, the Voton O Rings replaced, PCV Filter changed, MAF Sensor changed, Anti-Roll Bar links replaced and now my Anti Roll Bar D Bushes have gone. Mine has done 158,000 miles, and the next thing that damn Airbag light.....Before the MOT, as that will be an immediate fail, from the 1st of October 2011.

The D Bushes are no longer manufactured, and no one lists them. So its on with the upgraded Poly-Plastic-Rubber ones, which last much longer, are are not susceptible to perishing through oil and water penetration or general wear and tear.