Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th July 2016, 10:18   #31
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
I understand all that Harry, also it does sound far fetched that thinking the GPS could know about congestion/delays.
Just curious and would like to see the reason why the OP gets the messages.
Ken.
Not far fetched Ken, out of this world

As already said, the GPS system doesn't have any maps let alone traffic info!

It is purely a system to allow products to get a grid location.

Any maps, traffic info etc is a seperate product just using the GPS location system to overlay onto their maps.

That's how it works, full stop, end of story
Old 14th July 2016, 12:06   #32
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

I seem to recall reading something ages (years) ago that it's possible to "deduce" congestion from the fact that a high number of satnav-equipped cars are all concentrated together and either stationary or moving very slowly along the same stretch of road. The only experience I have of using satnav is via the maps app on my phone, so I've no idea if this is true or nonsense!
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 15:08   #33
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

The next time it does this I am going to take a picture of the screen.

It could be some time as I have no plans to go anywhere but local for the next months.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:40   #34
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I seem to recall reading something ages (years) ago that it's possible to "deduce" congestion from the fact that a high number of satnav-equipped cars are all concentrated together and either stationary or moving very slowly along the same stretch of road. The only experience I have of using satnav is via the maps app on my phone, so I've no idea if this is true or nonsense!
Sorry, impossible.

A SatNav is just a receiver, a quite complex receiver, but still receive only. They cannot transmit back to the GPS satellites nor to other GPS receivers.

The now switched off TMC(?) system, with which some 75's were equipped, was able to deduce congestion by the flow speed of vehicles on the road. You would get a congestion report on the dash, before becoming entangled, but that is really all it did.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 16th July 2016 at 11:51..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:45   #35
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

But bear in mind what I believe Google do. They can track the position of Android phones, and when a large number of phones are all heading in the same detection, and all start to slow down it is probably the best source of real time traffic information there is.

So Google maps can certainly be updated by this, but its the phone location doing it - not the sat-nave as such.

Mike
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 07:04   #36
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

It does/did indeed - and it used to be brilliant because you could have it set on your phone to 'traffic view' on your way to and from work on busy motorway commutes, it just showed colours relating to the speed of traffic rather than the full map and it was accurate enough to enable you to see probable gaps in queues in the inside lane at motorway exits so you could jump the queue........ then they made it 'better' and that feature disappeared
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 23:06   #37
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

I am sure this is me not understanding the system but the unit today gave me some options to get around a traffic problem up ahead.

And here is the evidence.

And a few mins later as I dismissed it the first time

Last edited by SCP440; 21st August 2016 at 23:07.. Reason: Made a mistake
Old 21st August 2016, 23:11   #38
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

So I ask the question again, how does it know this? I have never used that piece of road before in this car so there is no history, My mobile phone was not on wireless hot spot and the Bluetooth was not on. No coaches around so it was not getting any info from them or there free Wifi.
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:40   #39
DaPol
Loves to post

75 CDTi Saloon

If I were guessing, I'd suggest it's similar to Tomtom's IQ routes feature - the map has data of average traffic flows in the area embedded in it and knows that between time A and time B road C tends to be congested, and will suggest avoidance based on this historical knowledge - that it happens to map onto what's happening here and now for you is just a feature of the same thing having happened often at the same time on the same day on the same road in the past.

"It be half past three on the third monday of the month, 'appen be there be cows on the road as Farmer Jones moves fields at that time - best avoid that bit" basically.
DaPol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:19   #40
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPol View Post
If I were guessing, I'd suggest it's similar to Tomtom's IQ routes feature - the map has data of average traffic flows in the area embedded in it and knows that between time A and time B road C tends to be congested, and will suggest avoidance based on this historical knowledge - that it happens to map onto what's happening here and now for you is just a feature of the same thing having happened often at the same time on the same day on the same road in the past.

"It be half past three on the third monday of the month, 'appen be there be cows on the road as Farmer Jones moves fields at that time - best avoid that bit" basically.
That sounds sensible (and I don't even pretend to understand or use any of this stuff). The live screen shot does state "potential congestion detour"?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote