Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2024, 17:24   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Rear upper suspension arm replacement

Hi again.
My car is getting on a bit now and after 24 years of service I think it's time to get the rear upper suspension arms replaced.At the local garage I asked if we could get the car up on the ramps so that we could have a real look at them.On the face of it they didn't look to bad but on closer inspection they were showing signs of distress especially on the top were the spring goes into them.Also we spotted a hole on the top of the arm.There definitely in need of replacement.
I've already got the arms thanks to Dmgrs ,so it's a case of getting them into the car.
Now my mechanicing skills are not the greatest in the world so I will be entrusting the local garage to do the job.There obviously skilled and have all the right tools to do it.
So I was just wondering what sort of cost should I be expecting.They charge around £60 an hour but I can thankfully deduct to parts off the bill because I already have them.
Any thoughts on this because I don't even know how big a job it is.
Many thanks and all the very best.
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:42   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Hi again.
My car is getting on a bit now and after 24 years of service I think it's time to get the rear upper suspension arms replaced.At the local garage I asked if we could get the car up on the ramps so that we could have a real look at them.On the face of it they didn't look to bad but on closer inspection they were showing signs of distress especially on the top were the spring goes into them.Also we spotted a hole on the top of the arm.There definitely in need of replacement.
I've already got the arms thanks to Dmgrs ,so it's a case of getting them into the car.
Now my mechanicing skills are not the greatest in the world so I will be entrusting the local garage to do the job.There obviously skilled and have all the right tools to do it.
So I was just wondering what sort of cost should I be expecting.They charge around £60 an hour but I can thankfully deduct to parts off the bill because I already have them.
Any thoughts on this because I don't even know how big a job it is.
Many thanks and all the very best.
Alas water is your enemy. I have known the bolt from the upper arm to trailing arm seize solid. No amount of hammering would move the bolt. This involved cutting both ends of the bolt off and replacing the bush in the trailing arm as well as the bolt.
The captive nut holding the bolt for the upper arm to the middle of the sub frame can come free meaning the whole sub frame has to come off.

If you are lucky as I have been in the past, there will be no issues and all nuts and bolts will come undone and pull out without issue.

Perhaps at £60 an hour, not more then £240 labour if all goes well.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 17:52   #3
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I had this job done (both upper and lower) both sides last year by my local garage and they booked 8 hours. They said it was "challenging" job and not to darken their doors again!

I think they had to drop the entire rear suspension to remove the old arms but hopefully the arms will be good for another 20 years or so if the rest of the car lasts that long!

Malc
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 18:29   #4
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Contact Jules in Colwyn Bay.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 18:55   #5
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Thanks for all the replies.
My uneducated guess was around the £300 to £400 mark.The boss of the garage will be back in work tomorrow so I will have a more in-depth chat with him about it all.
I can imagine these can be the final death nail for these cars nowadays.
I do also rely on my trusty Rover for everyday commutes to work but I have got a week off in a couple of weeks.Hopefully I will be able to get the job done then when I don't need the car
Old 22nd April 2024, 19:00   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Why should this be considered as the death nell for our cars, for what it costs to replace the rear suspension, you would not get any other car.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 05:41   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Why should this be considered as the death nell for our cars, for what it costs to replace the rear suspension, you would not get any other car.

Another consideration is that road tax and insurance are comparable expenses with the figure quoted above.

Simon
Old 23rd April 2024, 18:36   #8
JAYWHY 75

Rover 75 Saloon

When I did mine prior to the garage changing these I dowsed the nuts, the captive nuts and the bolts with good quality penetrating fluid. I kept doing this over a number of days. When it came to changing them the mechanic that did these told me that they came apart reasonably well - he showed me the original nuts and bolts and although they had been on the car about 17 years they could have been used again, although I replaced with new. The captive nuts are accessed via a hole in the subframe

I also made sure the new arms were well coated with wayoyl
JAYWHY 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 12:11   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYWHY 75 View Post
When I did mine prior to the garage changing these I dowsed the nuts, the captive nuts and the bolts with good quality penetrating fluid. I kept doing this over a number of days. When it came to changing them the mechanic that did these told me that they came apart reasonably well - he showed me the original nuts and bolts and although they had been on the car about 17 years they could have been used again, although I replaced with new. The captive nuts are accessed via a hole in the subframe

I also made sure the new arms were well coated with wayoyl
Captive nuts are square and reside in a pocket on the subframe, and as you point out are accessed through an hole.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2024, 17:38   #10
JAYWHY 75

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Captive nuts are square and reside in a pocket on the subframe, and as you point out are accessed through an hole.

Good pics Steve - tell the story about accessing them very well - was once told a picture often replaces a thousand words!
JAYWHY 75 is offline   Reply With Quote