Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2013, 20:49   #1
rathlindri
Loves to post

2004 MG ZT CDTi 135+ saloon

Allistair, great to see you're enjoying the car now, well done with all the work and upgrades
rathlindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:52   #2
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

'54 Black MG ZT CDTi + 160

It feels like all I have done recently is replace bulbs...!

My dash warning light came on again last week on a trip to Cornwall. One of my dipped head light bulbs had popped. My heart sank as I recalled reading how people struggle with those particular bulbs.

I was kind of pleased in a way though, as my dipped beam has never matched left to right, so I presumed one bulb had been replaced with a different strength.

I decided to go for Osram Nightbreaker +, as apart from changing to HID's which I didn't want to do, they seemed the best & most recommended.

Set to this afternoon...

It was a doddle! I removed the fuse box, which was easy, then the near side took literally 2 minutes.

Off side took slightly longer - needed to go through the access panel in the arch for that one. I removed the washer bottle neck too, but still, only about 5 minutes.

I guess I'm fortunate in that regard as I have reasonably small hands, I can imagine sausage fingers would render it an almost impossible job!!

The colour doesn't match the LED sidelights at all, I was hoping it would be a closer match, can anyone offer any insight which sidelight bulbs would match?

Also, which fog & main beam bulbs match as the Nightbreakers are only available in limited sizes...?

Thanks
coolasacucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:40   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Shame you don't favour HID conversions, they will outlast any filament bulb on the market, the kits start at twenty quid.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:07   #4
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Have you fitted them on yours Pab? What kind of a job was it, I haven't really looked into it, I just like the idea of keeping it simple.

Also, if anyone is reading this, please have a look at my list of parts required, for the next stage of modifications/upgrades!

http://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/sh...d.php?t=156374

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:40   #5
zero2
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

I agree with pab. Hids are the way forward
zero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:41   #6
zero2
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Before and after pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377193239302.jpg (73.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377193252759.jpg (76.0 KB, 31 views)
zero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 23:11   #7
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Finally got one job done today that has been annoying me for ages, everytime I opened the boot I was greeted by this...

I have been searching (admittedly, not very thoroughly) for a non cd changer carpet side wall, I found one in a scrap yard today!

Tidies up the boot no end. I just need to get hold of some of the trim clips now, there were lots missing when I bought the car. The two near the seat back are there, but the two that hold the side carpet near the rear lights are missing.

My MOT is due within a couple of weeks, and I still haven't gotten around to fixing the number plate light, that may be tomorrows job!

Last edited by coolasacucumber; 27th August 2013 at 23:57..
Old 28th August 2013, 17:53   #8
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

And tomorrow's job it certainly was... today!

As per the other threads, it didn't really go to plan, as once I had taken the spoiler off (came off very easily), I had this to contend with -

I was expecting to have to solder it, not rebuild it! After some deliberating, I decided to take it off, and was left with this -

Facelift bulb holders seem to be rather tricky to get hold of, so a trip to the scrap yard produced this, not bad for £5, including a good smear of sticky stuff to hold it on! -

All going well, both bulbs worked, BUT - the mk1 & mk2 items are different - hence, the spoiler wouldn't fit, as you can see here -

So out with the hacksaw & very sharp knife. It needed altering in 4 places, the 2 lips at the edge of the bulb cover, and the inside edges, to accommodate the inside of the spoiler.

I also wanted to seal it with silicone, so that if any water runs underneath the spoiler, it won't get into my precious working lights!!

I've ordered some led's for the lights to celebrate... My number plate won't know what's hit it!

As well as the no. plate, I got some led's for the boot, and the glove box.

And to finish it all off I bought a new MG rear badge as my current one is faded.

Last edited by coolasacucumber; 28th August 2013 at 22:07..
Old 28th August 2013, 21:44   #9
rathlindri
Loves to post

2004 MG ZT CDTi 135+ saloon

Well done Allistair, great job....good to know a Mk1 can be cut to fit, I will have to do this sooner or later
rathlindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 10:24   #10
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasacucumber View Post
Finally got one job done today that has been annoying me for ages, everytime I opened the boot I was greeted by this...

I have been searching (admittedly, not very thoroughly) for a non cd changer carpet side wall, I found one in a scrap yard today!

Tidies up the boot no end. I just need to get hold of some of the trim clips now, there were lots missing when I bought the car. The two near the seat back are there, but the two that hold the side carpet near the rear lights are missing.

My MOT is due within a couple of weeks, and I still haven't gotten around to fixing the number plate light, that may be tomorrows job!
I removed mine too. The changer was not compatible with my new Kenwood head unit..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote