Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2017, 14:26   #1
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts
Default 1.8 oil pump bolts and screw

It says in both Haynes and the official workshop manual that, when changing oil pump on k series that the 8 old bolts and 1 screw should be discarded and new ones used..........why?
Just in the process of changing oil pump on my MGF and I've now come to a halt because I have no new bolts Rimmers have them but, obviously I won't get them for a day or two.

Any thoughts about re using the old bolts or, is it a big no no?

Many thanks

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 14:55   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
It says in both Haynes and the official workshop manual that, when changing oil pump on k series that the 8 old bolts and 1 screw should be discarded and new ones used..........why?
Just in the process of changing oil pump on my MGF and I've now come to a halt because I have no new bolts Rimmers have them but, obviously I won't get them for a day or two.

Any thoughts about re using the old bolts or, is it a big no no?

Many thanks
I believe engine builders like Powertrain liked the use of patch bolts with Loctite when building from new, so there was no chance of anything backing off and there could be no come back CYA etc. There is absolutely no problem re-using the originals. I lubricate the bolt threads lightly with engine oil so that they are not fitted dry, which will achieve the correct torque setting to avoid stripping the block threads. I believe all the holes in the oil pump are blind drilled and tapped so there is no chance of oil travelling up with capillary action.

Loctite is used on many threads throughout the engine, the water pump, mounting bolts etc. When refitting I always lightly oil the bolt upon reassembly and avoid Loctite like the plague unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by Lovel; 17th May 2017 at 15:01..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 18:44   #3
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
I believe engine builders like Powertrain liked the use of patch bolts with Loctite when building from new, so there was no chance of anything backing off and there could be no come back CYA etc. There is absolutely no problem re-using the originals. I lubricate the bolt threads lightly with engine oil so that they are not fitted dry, which will achieve the correct torque setting to avoid stripping the block threads. I believe all the holes in the oil pump are blind drilled and tapped so there is no chance of oil travelling up with capillary action.

Loctite is used on many threads throughout the engine, the water pump, mounting bolts etc. When refitting I always lightly oil the bolt upon reassembly and avoid Loctite like the plague unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks for the reply Gary, I shall re use the originals

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 19:02   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

They are not Stretch bolts. Use them again.---

However if you want to use Locktite then don't lube the threads.----------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote