Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2022, 07:51   #1
Garfy81

MG ZT-T

Default 1.8 Stripped Spark plugs help

Morning everyone.

Just after some advice please regarding the ZT-T I purchased September. It’s a standard 1.8 none turbo. Whilst driving, the car has now developed what I can only describe as an intermittent misfire. I changed the leads and coil packs and seemed better but does come and go which is puzzling.

I decided a plug change was needed and when I went to remove the plugs, the first one (as looking at the engine, plug on the left nearest drivers side) was very loose and just spinning. The next one along was ok to come out, the 3rd is the same just spinning and the last one came out ok.

From looking at the 2 that come out, the plugs look newish and no obvious issues. When looking with a touch at the two which won’t come out, they look older plugs from what I can see.

I have contacted a local engine centre to where I live and they have quoted £1,230 to remove the head, helicoil and put back on.

So my questions for advise please are

1) has anyone ever had any issue like this before that they have managed to resolve without removing the head.
2) If I am to have the head removed, is helicoil the way to go or should I look to purchase a good/new head

Whilst I don’t have the cash at the moment to have the car done, I intend to not give up on the car as since owning it, I have grown fond of her. Whilst I’m no mechanic, I do have some albeit limited knowledge and if the head has to come off, then I intend to do this myself in the new year. Any advise of removing the head (do’s and Dont’s ) would be greatly appreciated. I will with the head off fit all new gaskets, water pump, belts etc.

Many thanks everyone for any help/ advice you can give and also merry Christmas.

Matt 👍
Garfy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 10:37   #2
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

If you can get the spinning plugs out somehow with the head in situ, I have seen a video of spark plug thread repair before albeit on a V12 BMW: https://youtu.be/zN-EO_WivXY

This isn't the proper way of doing it and he does mention this in the video, but has some methods of reducing the risk of engine damage from metal shavings.

If you decide to do it properly (removing the head), make sure to use a workshop manual and follow the correct sequence for removing the bolts. There's a copy of the manual here (post #8, service proceedures document): https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s....php?p=2604687
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 11:52   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

May I also add, when, if, you get the plugs out and refit, gap them to .75/.8mm👍

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Last edited by suzublu; 21st December 2022 at 13:35..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 12:21   #4
alan richard
Avid contributor

75 Tourer cdti

My sympathies.

I have in the past had similar on a motorbike that blew one plug out.
A local guy was able to helicoil it in place.

We stuffed a clean but grease covered rag down the plug hole first before starting to catch any swarf and fished it out after.

It worked out ok.

-A
alan richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 12:58   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Helicoiling has been around for many years and is a tried and tested method.

Ideally, remove the head.
If your head is good apart from the stripped thread I would tend to stick with it.
If you do helicoil with the head in place there is a risk of swarf but this can be minimised and you may be fine. If you are willing to spend over a £1,000 on the car you have nowt to loose by doing a helicoil in place. Try to get as much swarf out as you can.

good luck

Is the head that difficult to remove as £1,230 seems a lot of money

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 13:29   #6
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
May I also add, when, if, you get the plugs out and refit, gap them to 7.5/8mm👍

Just a guess but should that be 0.75/0.8mm
Popcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 13:35   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Just a guess but should that be 0.75/0.8mm
Oops 😁 yes of course 👍

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2022, 19:40   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Helicoiling has been around for many years and is a tried and tested method.

Ideally, remove the head.

Is the head that difficult to remove as £1,230 seems a lot of money

macafee2

That is they dont want to do it price and if they do end up with the job that is enough to make sure they are happy with it.

Last edited by SCP440; 21st December 2022 at 19:41.. Reason: i
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2022, 09:56   #9
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Smile

Hi Matt,

About 16 months ago my Mustang engined Rover 75 V8 had a spark plug exit the engine and damaged the threads in the head. Apparently this is a very common problem with Mustang engines and their derivatives in the USA. Helicoils are not considered permanent repairs. The best kit is an American one but it is expensive.I used a kit made by Sealey Tools VS301 together with Sealey's high strength thread adhesive.

There are two problems. Firstly, you need to try and get the swarf out of the cylinder when cutting the new thread. I modified a vacuum cleaner pipe with a piece of neoprene tubing that I could put down the cylinder. I also greased the taps and then removed the swarf with brake cleaner, When the job was completed and before I put the plug back in I ran the engine briefly to eject any remaining swarf.

Secondly, the American kit has a guide which you insert into the cylinder to ensure that the new thread is not cross threaded. The Sealey kit does not have this useful tool so that when cutting the new threads you have to be very very careful and take your time.

There is a useful video on Sealey's internet site.

16 months on the new thread is holding so it seems to have done the trick. Most importantly it can be done without removing the head which in my case would have been a mission.

Good Luck
Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2022, 19:32   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
Helicoils are not considered permanent repairs.
Not only are they permanent repairs, they are stronger than the original threads in aluminium heads.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote