Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2009, 19:52   #1
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Default climate control air intake point

No wonder our climate control never gives really cold air on LO.

think about it, the nearside plenum, where the pollen filter is has a cover over it, so the air has to come in via the grille on the offside plenum cover, and traverse the entire length of the plenum, which is necked down in the middle, unlike the lesser models, and heated very effectively at the front by a ****** great V8 engine, and from underneath by hot airflow under the car !!!

I wonder if some strategically placed holes in the nearside plenum cover would enable cooler air to be sucked in at the nearside, without danger of the pollen filter getting soaked- or remove the cover altogether - any thoughts guys ???
Old 12th June 2009, 21:36   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by black olive View Post
No wonder our climate control never gives really cold air on LO.

think about it, the nearside plenum, where the pollen filter is has a cover over it, so the air has to come in via the grille on the offside plenum cover, and traverse the entire length of the plenum, which is necked down in the middle, unlike the lesser models, and heated very effectively at the front by a ****** great V8 engine, and from underneath by hot airflow under the car !!!

I wonder if some strategically placed holes in the nearside plenum cover would enable cooler air to be sucked in at the nearside, without danger of the pollen filter getting soaked- or remove the cover altogether - any thoughts guys ???
Good point...maybe even remove the inner cover altogether?
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 15:14   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Removing the inner cover would allow water directly onto the top of the ECU during car washes, or even heavy rain.. But maybe if you sealed the ECU in a plastic bag? that would work.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 16:58   #4
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Removing the inner cover would allow water directly onto the top of the ECU during car washes, or even heavy rain.. But maybe if you sealed the ECU in a plastic bag? that would work.
The ECU in the V8 isn't located in the plenums...it is inside the car...

Mind you, the pollen filter might need waterproofing...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 17:04   #5
Stu C
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

Could always fit a snorkel like on a Land Rover, tube direct to the outside of the car
2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
2001 MGF 1.8 Steptronic
2019 Seat Ateca Xcellece
Gone but not forgotton - MG ZT 260 SE #171
Member #126
Stu C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 20:41   #6
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Quote:
Mind you, the pollen filter might need waterproofing...
but would it though- the grille area isnt that large and the plenum is tucked away behind the bonnet. may give it a try and just pop the cover off after a run in the rain.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:28   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I don't have a V8, but it operates on the same principle as the rest. In my opinion, perforating or even removing the water shield will not radically improve air flow through the pollen filter. The function of the plenum is to create a high pressure zone. This is achieved through the ram effect as the car travels forward. Air hitting the scuttle area is forced downwards through the grills and into the plenum, so increasing the overall pressure (below as well as above the water shield). This creates the driving force (in addition to any 'suction' caused by the internal heater fan). By all means do the experiment, but I reckon that retaining the integrity of the shield outweighs the idea.

The poor performance of the climate control is more likely related to the condition of the A/C refrigerant/cooling fan/etc.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:07   #8
Scarlet Fever
Avid contributor

ZT 260 (#27 of 217)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The poor performance of the climate control is more likely related to the condition of the A/C refrigerant/cooling fan/etc.
In the V8, poor climate control performance is usually down to the 3-way mixer valve (oddly enough, also located in this area) - due to the size of the engine & it's location relative to the bulkhead the V8 variant does not have the air blend climate control system the other R75/ZTs has, rather it uses a cruder, water blend system that, when set up well, is normally OK, but many cars suffer from poor quality 3-way valves or valves that aren't set up correctly so that either the climate control system gets hot, but not cold, or cold, but not hot.

Black Olive has come up with a reliable replacement valve to solve this issue and i suspect that, because he has done so much work on this and in this plenum area, he has looked at improving other parts of the system and thus this thread.
ZT 260 - #27
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote