Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2017, 13:42   #1
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Default Tyres, Tyres, Tyres.

I fitted a new set of Continentals to my car around 22k miles ago, unfortunately I suffered a couple of punctures, ( nails, screws etc, etc) had one tyre repaired and had to scrap the other one, now I have picked up another damned nail on the road and another tyre is scrap!

now I had these tyres fitted around 2 years ago, problem is I inadvertently had 205x55's fitted instead of 215's, now I am thinking it is time to replace the lot once again, but If I go for Continentals again It's going to cost me around £ 420 fully fitted.

now as Two of my 205x55 conti's are only half worn I am considering the possibility of retaining those two on the front Axle and putting two new 215's (wider track) on the Rear, as my car is a Tourer and carries more weight at the back would this be an issue, as obviously the car is supposed to ride on a full set of the correct size 215's , technically would this cause any issues?

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 14:37   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
technically would this cause any issues?
Technically I don't see why. Two new tyres should go on the rear anyway. And you've already driven for two years with 205s. I've found that regular visits to the local dumpit site/'amenity centre' is a good way to pick up nails in yer tyres.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 14:38   #3
dbt01
Retired

Well I use ContiSports on the V8 and very happy. Some say that wear is bad, but I'm not a "sprited" driver and get around 20k, which isn't bad for the V8's particularly the rears. As T-Cut says, I don't think that's a problem fitting 215's only to the back since that was one of the widths specified for your wheel size. Best check if that is allowed in the UK though.

I have 3x 75 2.5 V6's too, one a Tourer, all on Michelin Premecy 3's which I find excellent; ride handling grip road-noise. 215/55 on the 16" Unions on the saloons and 225/45 on the 17" Serpentines on the Tourer. Make sure you don't over specify the speed rating or weight rating you need (do you regularly drive at 160mph??); may save a few bob. Too low on either is a problem though, maybe even for legal or insurance reasons, certainly in Germany it is, as would be different widths front and back.

... but both are expensive. I suspect for a reason. They are very good.

You pay's your money and takes the choice! I certainly won't be changing but may try Michelins on the V8 too at the next change shortly. Undecided.

David

Last edited by dbt01; 8th May 2017 at 14:44..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote