Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th April 2017, 22:01   #11
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Just my 2p avoid continental ones.

I stupidly fell for their scheming on my latest k4 project. They don't appear to be continental but rather continental direct - they look ok and it appears to work as a pump (something in that area does appear to be making a whirling noise, suspect this pump or possibly the genuine tensioner).

Seems like they are playing on continentals reputation and packaging - I prefer of effort goes into the part rather than passing off packaging. In other applications I've used circoli which seemed ok and latest non mgr was forced to fit blueprint ... Time will tell on that one.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:10   #12
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Just copying this from another thread as it is relevant to this discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Selecting parts like these can be confusing, the word "genuine" has to be taken with a pinch of salt as many parts that come in the MGRover boxes are not from the same manufacturer that original supplied them during production.

I have got to know Nick and the guys at E-Car Parts (BS Motors at Sandy) quite well and we have had lots of chats about replacement parts many times, which ones are good, which ones are bad, which suppliers offer the best backup service etc and based on these i choose to use the CD waterpumps, they use them in their workshop and they have the lowest percentage of returns based on actual use and supply.

*touch wood* i have not had any problems with the CD pumps, they fit perfectly and have a good seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
This is a BGA branded pump, i dont use these generally as there were more returns on these than the Continental ones i prefer to fit.
So many contradictions on the thoughts of which brands to use - but the opinion of somebody who fits more pumps like Phil, or a garage, would be formed on the basis of more pump fitments than other folks who have only had experience of their own car.

I suppose I need to accept that all brands will have some failures, and that one reported case of a failure is perhaps not good enough grounds to reject the brand completely.

But then again, who likes to fit something when they have read that somebody has had failure of the exact same item?

Argh. Indecision!
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 16:49   #13
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I fitted an SKF one, why? Because SKF make decent bearings and its bearings and seals that matter with water pumps.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 19:37   #14
ballymenaman
Avid contributor

75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 Auto, Rover 45, classic mini and E Niro

I fitted a Valeo one a few months back. Not the cheapest but seems to be OK so far (done 2k miles since November 2016). The car had one fitted last May that failed after 1.5k miles - not sure what make it was but it was part of the package supplied by DMGRS. This is not a criticism of DMGRS, by the way - I know he only supplies quality parts. I'm merely pointing out that even better quality pumps can fail early.
ballymenaman is offline   Reply With Quote