Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2016, 07:56   #1
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Default Overturned

http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/three-...XF2v9bJJCVU.99

So many times lately I have seen caravans and trailers overturned whilst been towed by larger vehicles, such as 4x4's and large vans

Also still amazed that whilst driving a coach at a limit of 62 mph how many vehicles that are towing seem to 'sail' past me at speed, people really do need to understand that when towing you have a legal obligation to be aware of your 'new' speed limits.... so when on a Motorway you are no longer permitted to travel at 70 mph, but a max of 60 mph

Also due to the vehicle now been restricted to a maximum of 60 mph you are not permitted to use the Outside lane (nearest central reservation) on a Motorway that has three or more lanes.

I know most on here will already know this, but it does no harm in repeating this information for those that are maybe new to towing.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:57   #2
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

I know - I do wonder at times if some people actually remember that they are towing?

as I too regularly get over taken by vans and 4x4's towing trailers at 70MPH +... and some are not small trailers either..
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 12:37   #3
Thorfin
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi & MG ZS 180

I wonder how many people realise you have to pass another test before towing a larger trailer or caravan...

Also I wonder how many people realise that loading the trailer/caravan correctly makes a HUGE difference to how it behaves...
Old 31st October 2016, 12:59   #4
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfin View Post
I wonder how many people realise you have to pass another test before towing a larger trailer or caravan.
I thought was only for people that had passed their test post 1997?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 13:29   #5
Thorfin
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi & MG ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Yes it is. But that is 20 years ago now So a large portion of drivers fall into that category I would suggest

Wow! I passed my test that long ago?!?! Never thought of it like that before
Old 31st October 2016, 14:06   #6
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Yes it is. But that is 20 years ago now So a large portion of drivers fall into that category I would suggest
:
I suppose it was a while ago, but I always think of caravanning as not really a young persons thing. So I guess they wouldn't really need to take the test anyway?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 15:51   #7
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

As an ex truckie you always knew when it was coming into caravan season, mid April you would see them on their sides and more and more as the season ran on.
Most of it is down to bad driving and excessive speed, I have been overtaken by a Range Rover towing a twin axle caravan while I was travelling at 70 even older drivers do not understand how a caravan affects the abilities and dynamics of the towing vehicle, once they start to snake not many know how to slow it safely and stand on the brakes, I believe a test to tow anything heavier than maybe 500kgs should be made compulsory, my personal view only.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 16:50   #8
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:

Wow! I passed my test that long ago?!?! Never thought of it like that before
So that means anyone under the age of 37 (if you passed at 17, which not many do) but more like 40 will need to have taken the trailer test.

I see many under that age towing, not so much caravans, but builders, utility vans, plant hire vans etc towing large trailers with mini diggers and the like on, and also not exactly hanging around,wonder how many of them are trailer tested ?
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:30   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/three-...XF2v9bJJCVU.99

So many times lately I have seen caravans and trailers overturned whilst been towed by larger vehicles, such as 4x4's and large vans

Also still amazed that whilst driving a coach at a limit of 62 mph how many vehicles that are towing seem to 'sail' past me at speed, people really do need to understand that when towing you have a legal obligation to be aware of your 'new' speed limits.... so when on a Motorway you are no longer permitted to travel at 70 mph, but a max of 60 mph

Also due to the vehicle now been restricted to a maximum of 60 mph you are not permitted to use the Outside lane (nearest central reservation) on a Motorway that has three or more lanes.

I know most on here will already know this, but it does no harm in repeating this information for those that are maybe new to towing.
Good post Keith, I think coach and wagon drivers like us notice it more, because when driving for a job, we are particularly aware of the restrictions.
. I have commented so many times to the Mrs when we have had our van in tow,about the amount of caravaners that flout the law and take risks. I did the towing course through the caravan club when we first got ours, just to brush up my towing skills, having towed bike trailers and farm trailers in the past,but never a caravan,also to get a discount on the first year of insurance. Whilst on the course, the instructor showed a video of what happens when a caravan is towed at an excess speed. It was "dancing ,bouncing from one side to another before it eventually became unbalanced and flipped over, it was destroyed in seconds. So amy times on the motorways and dual carriageways, you see 4x4s and large estate cars zooming past at 70+, even in wet and poor visibility conditions, a few times I have hung right back after being overtaken like this and seen the caravan swaying a bit.
The instructor said to us" just because its possible to tow at 70, its not safe, caravans weren't designed to be driven at 70, that's why they are restricted".

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Its if your gross train weight (car and trailer loaded) exceeds 3500 kgs, IIRC, that you need to take the test. Same thing if driving a van over 3500 kgs, you need to take a test for a 7.5 ton lorry.

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd February 2017 at 23:37.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 18:42   #10
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Quote:
I wonder how many people realise you have to pass another test before towing a larger trailer or caravan...

Also I wonder how many people realise that loading the trailer/caravan correctly makes a HUGE difference to how it behaves...

A very important point made regarding loading and weight distribution in/on a trailer or caravan.

The caravan is like an elaborate see-saw, put too much weight at one end, and the other will lift. So this will either push down on the rear of the tow vehicle, affecting the suspension, balance and steering capabilities. Too much at the back lifts the nose of the trailer/caravan and again affects the stability of the car and can cause problems when braking etc.

Doesn't matter when you gained your driving licence, it should be a must for all to pass some form of driving whilst towing assessment, before being able to get insurance. I am often amazed by the number of people who are unaware their car insurance does not always cover towing.

And just to lend my observation, many times on our regular excursions to the New Forest, happily trundling along, Rover 75 and caravan, I find myself checking my speed due to being passed by 4x4's towing the latest caravan. I have seen, like so many others, the destructive results of a caravan flipping over, or trying to overtake the tow-vehicle when braking heavily but why?

Is it the mentality of 'me and my shiny 4x4 and big money no object caravan are invincible', naivety to speed restrictions, or just that mass get away charge so many take part in?

Disaster can and sometimes does, strike at anytime, and may be instigated by the actions of another road user, so think, be aware, and a motto I use...

Better to arrive safe, than to not arrive at all.
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote