Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th January 2017, 09:53   #11
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Surely can't be a V8 on 17" Serpents?
I don't think they'll fit over the brake calipers will they?
Also, Blue leather with cream piping (that'll be Neptune Blue & Sandstone).
Didn't think they fitted personal line in the V8's?
17 inch starspokes fit over 190 brakes and they are not supposed to...
Old 28th January 2017, 10:42   #12
RattyB
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN04TVE View Post
Coming back to the fold after some time away from 75 ownership,
after finding myself falling in love with a 260 V8 in my native Nottingham when on a visit some months ago...
..as I've very recently stumbled, and by that I mean this morning -on a 260 V8 that was parked right next to me as I stopped to fill my little works van with petrol..I recognised the car straight away as a V8 by the Wing-badge, not seeing it from the rear or from the front..

My hopeful questioning of " ..don't fancy selling that do you?" Expecting the usual response, rare car, had it forever, would never sell etc..the chap straight away says" ...well, yes, Im thinking about it.." ..and went on to tell me a little of the cars history -ex.fast response vehicle, ambulance, 2nd owner I assumed..but the good part, well-I thought it was- was the next bit.." ..Ive no idea what to put it up for.."

Now, my question to the forum is this: I love this car, it is JUST what Im looking for, and it would be a very long-term keeper -what would be a fair price to both parties?

The car: reasonable condition, obviously used as an everyday car, judging by stone chips and the fading of the Mustang emblem, but also obviously enjoyed, and as such -judging by the owner, who was fastidiously dressed in tweed cap, would, I assume, be just as fastidious with the servicing of his car...some chaps of the older generation believe a car should be driven first and washed second- (my father was one of them, very rarely washed his cars, but by goodness they were impeccably maintained!)

Interior perfect, if a little scuffed, in blue leather wth cream/poss. Stone piping..serpents were not perfect, and it started and pulled away with minimum of fuss..

By using the internet and trying to findan average price is a needle, haystack etc..these cars so rarely come up for sale that all I can see is anything between 5-10,000...that is a little vague is it not? Time to turn over to the guardians of the marque..

What do YOU guys think?

Thanks for any help and guidence - Im going off to read the full buyers guide in the hope of a phone call this week...

Ex-emergency services vehicles are the embodiment of caveat emptor! I would use that as a starting point to bring the price right down, as it certainly wont have been driven with care and consideration.
RattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 19:22   #13
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Starspokes are a standard fit on rover V8 which use the same discs etc as the 190 so should be no problems.
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 09:57   #14
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyB View Post
Ex-emergency services vehicles are the embodiment of caveat emptor! I would use that as a starting point to bring the price right down, as it certainly wont have been driven with care and consideration.
Not necessarily so, service and maintained to the highest level with no expense spared. What's the difference to being driven 'quickly' on a job or driven 'quickly be an owner?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 18:07   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
What's the difference to being driven 'quickly' on a job or driven 'quickly be an owner?
Most sensible owners would allow the engine to warm up before they start pushing it where as on a job it needs to be pushed from the off. 90% of engine ware happens when it is cold.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 18:08   #16
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Yeah, I know Starspokes will fit fine over the 190 brakes but they are the only 17" wheels that do as a 'direct' fit.
Serpents on the other hand, aren't a direct fit.
This is why I can't imagine a V8 having Serpents on.
The OP says that the 260 V8 he's referring to had Blue leather with Cream piping (Neptune & Sandstone) which of course is personal line.
Surely, it if was a 260, it wouldn't have R75 leather & especially not personal line.
Could it have been a V6 in disguise perhaps?

Last edited by mh007; 29th January 2017 at 18:16..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 18:52   #17
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Yeah, I know Starspokes will fit fine over the 190 brakes but they are the only 17" wheels that do as a 'direct' fit.
Serpents on the other hand, aren't a direct fit.
This is why I can't imagine a V8 having Serpents on.
The OP says that the 260 V8 he's referring to had Blue leather with Cream piping (Neptune & Sandstone) which of course is personal line.
Surely, it if was a 260, it wouldn't have R75 leather & especially not personal line.
Could it have been a V6 in disguise perhaps?
or just have been refitted like mine and so many more cars...
Old 29th January 2017, 19:07   #18
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Most sensible owners would allow the engine to warm up before they start pushing it where as on a job it needs to be pushed from the off. 90% of engine ware happens when it is cold.
Where do you get the 90% figure? Our ex response vehicle covered 50K before we got it and we've added a further 50K. In an ideal world everybody would warm the car through before driving it 'quickly' but most won't. Years ago when you bought a new car it would require running in, now build standards are much better that engines no longer need to be run in.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 20:00   #19
Ozjensen
Regular poster

Rover 75 V8 Saloon #755 now sold

VN04TE - any update on your V8 search?? Cheers Tony
Ozjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 20:06   #20
Ozjensen
Regular poster

Rover 75 V8 Saloon #755 now sold

Just seen the comments on Starspokes and 190 brakes.

V8's have the same size front discs as the 190 but the V8's have larger rear discs than the 190 - unique to the V8.

How did I find this out? The V8's come with goo to fix flat tyres so I bought a spacesaver wheel on the understanding that it would not fit the front but would fit the back - wrong!

So bought a spare Starspoke from Championdaddy - the spare now takes up a lot of bootspace - but much better than a useless can of goo!
Ozjensen is offline   Reply With Quote