Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2017, 10:53   #1
jr.ewing*
Loves to post

mg zt

Default How many cambelts snap?

I just wondered how many cambelts actually snap on a v6? How often has it happened to people on the forum? I know its a serious issue when they do, but were all laying out £500 plus to get them changed but how often does it occur? I know hgf is pretty much 100% guaranteed at some point on the 1.8 turbo as it happened to me but what's the stats on a v6 cambelts breaking?
jr.ewing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 11:19   #2
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

If there changed at the correct intervals then you should be fine,
If your running them for longer then your chancing your luck a bit maybe.
If your meaning failures within the service interval then there maybe a few but can't recall reading many threads on the subject so I'd expect it to be low if any.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:47   #3
jr.ewing*
Loves to post

mg zt

I mean running outside and past their service interval. I know peace of mind is best but how many of these cars (and there's been 1000s over the years) have found themselves in breakers yards because of a cambelt issue or is it usually other issues?
Old 18th April 2017, 11:59   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.ewing* View Post
I mean running outside and past their service interval. I know peace of mind is best but how many of these cars (and there's been 1000s over the years) have found themselves in breakers yards because of a cambelt issue or is it usually other issues?
The question is do you want to risk it?

This KV6 Front belt was not due on mileage, but was approaching time based replacement, not exceeded

Only you can decide as to whether you wish to run the gauntlet, there are 24 valves to replace, along with piston or liner damage, and would certainly render an engine scrap.

I have rebuilt an engine in the past where the front belt snapped, but I wouldn't wish to repeat the experience if possible

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (134.8 KB, 492 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 12:17   #5
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

I have a 53 plate 190 with 82K on the clock and as far as I know the belts have never been done or there is no proof they have been done, I'm planning on having it all done next month, belts, pump, tensioner and idler wheels as I intend to keep the car long term, no big boots at the moment 😉
For the life of me I can't understand why some say oh just thrash it till it blows up then put another engine in, that way there won't be any engines to put in, it might be cheaper but how can you trust a car like that!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 13:55   #6
spongeh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 180 Sport Auto

Mine failed on a 51 Plate with 105,000 miles, I bought the car and only ran it for a month while I was getting parts together for it. Unfortunately it failed before I got round to changing it.... one dead car.

They very rarely snap, it's more likely that they'll lose some teeth and then slip, the belt part is very sturdy, it's the rubber that deteriorates.
spongeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 14:25   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

More likely to happen is the tensioner etc give up, happened to me. had to replace the engine

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 14:42   #8
jr.ewing*
Loves to post

mg zt

Not as rare as I thought then. The previous owner of my car says it was done but I don't know him from Adam and the history was lost conveniently. It just annoys me changing the belts etc when they may not need doing as he could be telling the truth, then again he could be lying so looks like I'll get mine done also.
Old 18th April 2017, 14:50   #9
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Not as rare as I thought then. The previous owner of my car says it was done but I don't know him from Adam and the history was lost conveniently. It just annoys me changing the belts etc when they may not need doing as he could be telling the truth, then again he could be lying so looks like I'll get mine done also.
As Brian said, there's an age limit to these belts due to perishing.
Personally I'm sticking to what the manual says, but need some more dosh to get the job done. But it's one of those 'urgent' jobs I need doing asap.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 15:02   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
The belts do not need doing until fractionally before they break. It sounds like you are going to accept being annoyed or replacing the engine.

Personal choice.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote