Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th April 2017, 18:30   #21
Airedale
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
He was doing Gruple's belts for me today, but ran out of time as he is doing a bit for me as well as doing all the other stuff. like changing engines !!!
Sorry about that, Stu

Good job I had a spare engine!
Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 18:39   #22
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
Sorry about that, Stu

Good job I had a spare engine!
Dave

Not a problem, I mentioned to Turbo Dave, this morning that I was in no rush, and would rather let him take his time, and is it not my main car, and also told him late that I also wanted an MOT

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 18:43   #23
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Very good question so there are other factors when the belts were changed by previous owners did they have water pumps and idler,s tensioners done as well or just belts ? I think someone has said its not actually the belts that snap but a mechanical failure ie tensioner failure.

Done my belts along with the water pump . tensioner etc and when due again in 4 years time will do all again ,but you can never predict a mechanical failure of any item, hence i trust DMGRS for quality parts.

As for belt snapping which is your question ,is this due to mechanical failure of the belt or not changing them...Even i look forward to that answer.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 19:16   #24
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

So on a very low mileage car that is over the time limit would you all change the tensioner and water pump even if these other items had no issues?
Old 18th April 2017, 19:21   #25
Rikki
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190, Land Rover Series IIA, KIA Pro C'eed VR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
So on a very low mileage car that is over the time limit would you all change the tensioner and water pump even if these other items had no issues?
Your choice at the end of the day- I know I am.
Born Monday, 14th July 2003 @ 12:51:51
9,940th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
2,948th ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
1,042nd ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Done: Cam belt and aux belts. Water pump, pulleys and tensioners, Hunter wheel alignment, New thermostat and housing, Plenum guard mod, refix undertray, Bonnet cable mod, upgraded Balance VIS motor, One empty bank account, one nervous breakdown.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 19:24   #26
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Reason I asked is my garage mate had a 54 plate V6 for a timing belt change, only 7600 miles from new one owner and FSH, second belt change, the tensioner Idler and WP were like new as was the belts.
Old 18th April 2017, 19:28   #27
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Im with Brian on this, if I was buying a car with a belt driven engine, unless there was documented evidence of a change within the manufacturer's schedule, I would be looking to get it changed asap. I thankfully have never been on the receiving end of a car with a snapped cam belt, and would be constantly worried if it hadn't been changed .
Old 18th April 2017, 19:31   #28
Rikki
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190, Land Rover Series IIA, KIA Pro C'eed VR7

as I said earlier, pretty sure this ZT has been looked after- also pretty sure once Dave pulls the front off all will be as new- but without history I don't want to take the risk of going from a decent motor to something that is only worth the scrap heap- get them done you eliminate the element of doubt that will always be in your mind when you plant the right foot- not that any of us do that of course
Born Monday, 14th July 2003 @ 12:51:51
9,940th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
2,948th ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
1,042nd ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Done: Cam belt and aux belts. Water pump, pulleys and tensioners, Hunter wheel alignment, New thermostat and housing, Plenum guard mod, refix undertray, Bonnet cable mod, upgraded Balance VIS motor, One empty bank account, one nervous breakdown.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 19:37   #29
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I would make a judgement call based upon inspection if I were doing the job for myself Trevor, if doing the job on a customer/commercial basis I would err on the side of caution and replace all components, or offer a limited warranty based on the parts fitted, and only after the customer had been made aware of the possible pitfalls of doing "half a job".

Faced with the prospect of having to do the job twice for the sake of the extra parts cost vs the labour aspect, most people would opt to replace rather than run the risk

This sort of thing happens all of the time, only last week was I contacted by a member who had a KV6 belt job done on his Monogram Nocturne, along with thermostat and pump, only to have the poor quality water pump fail shortly afterwards.

The car was sold on for peanuts, due to the owner not wishing to shell out to have the whole job repeated

Shockingly the thermostat was found to be secured using cable ties, and speaking to the MGR trained technician who bought the car, the timing was three teeth out !!

So not only good quality parts required for the job, but somebody who is actually capable of carrying out the work to an acceptable standard is key

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 19:46   #30
jr.ewing*
Loves to post

mg zt

Not sure why in posted this thread now as if you guys had said oh yes James every 1 car in 500 will have cambelt failure out of the replacement window I'm still not sure what I would have done with my car. When my daily driver car needed £450 spending on it recently it wasn't an issue as it only had 1000 miles on it when I bought it at 1 year old and I need the car for work, my zt is my pleasure car but when they are sub £1000 cars (lots of car for the money wow!) its just a little annoying when I have to throw £500 at it when its running like a dream and I could be replacing the cambelt for no good reason. To confuse things more, if my belts did break and it ruined my engine I would be seriously gutted as it took me a while to get one with spec and colour I wanted so i cant really chance it. Very confusing times, welcome to classic car motoring james
jr.ewing* is offline   Reply With Quote