Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2011, 21:48   #11
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Mk1, Rover 75 Mk2, MGZT-260 Rover 75 CDTI Touring

Hi Martynp. The reason I have started a new thread mate is because this is a new project, the original idea of poking the supercharged 5.0 gt mustang engine in the 75 is not dead, just on hold until 05 is completed, the beauty of rebuilding 05 from 577 is that I will have a spare v8 bodyshell (although damaged) to use as a floor pan/gearbox tunnel donor for a standard rover 75. I will return to that thread once I have completed 05.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynp View Post
Seem to remember a comment that the existing 75 tunnel for propshaft drive was a boon to the engineers designing the MGR V8, Think another problem still to resolve is which final drive or rear axle you are going to settle on?
I could help with Rover P6V8 parts, assume you have the gearbox?

Pity you opened a new thread as original thread had lots of info, missing from this thread

Admire your adventureist spirit, bit like building a kit car----but more tricky as yours will be a first!
Guess you will need deep pockets!

Seem to remember on ebay that a breakers yard in Axminster? Devon was breaking one winter before last------Guess someone lost it on the winter ice on those Devonshire hills
Try a search on ebay?
Thanks for your comment Zeb, as they say, Watch this space!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Looking forward to seeing what you do!
Hi Tony, thanks for your wishes mate, the cleaning up of the shell of 05 has gone really well and all of the internal & external parts remaining have been stripped out, I now have a "clean slate" to begin the rebuild process. I am just waiting for my painter to arrive to respray the engine bay once he's done I will strip out 577's bay and install all parts into 05. There is some wiring harness damage to repair but that won't cause me too much of a headache. I need to locate a sump baffle plate & oil pick-up pipe, hopefully they are just Mustang items so they shouldn't be too difficult to come by. Yes, as you quite rightly said 05 doesn't seem to have turned a wheel, the steering wheel (underneath all that green crud & slime) is brand new!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybubble View Post
John now has a proper V8 shell - from the protoype/development car 005. (This car is interesting in the fact that it never really turned a wheel, as it was built and then used as a classroom training vehicle). See here:

As mentioned he also has a written off 260 Tourer, which should provide most of the required parts including the authentic drivetrain.
I wish John every success with his venture and really look forward to seeing the results of his efforts.

Last edited by Dragrad; 21st October 2012 at 03:58.. Reason: Consecutive posts
75.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 22:15   #12
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

My misunderstanding then 75.0
My best wishes in both of your endeavours! Looking forward to progress reports----

By the way, just been looking at ebay car breakers
The one in Dorchester Tel.No 01305 266302, ebay name 2010dcs
Martynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 06:17   #13
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

It's good too see Tony and now yourself keeping the V8's alive.
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 21:41   #14
Avid contributor

Hi to all, thanks for your support! I have posted some pics to show the progress so far. The first two are of 05 as it was when delivered to me, the next is of the engine bay stripped & thoroughly cleaned ready for paint, the next is the boot area now completely devoid of some pretty strange pondlife, vegetation and all manner of weird squiggly things, the interior floor area of the shell had similar beasties in it along with a ton of shattered glass, ah, vandals eh, bless'em! The last is the interior dried out and cleaned ready for stripping. Interestingly enough, the lower left corner of the spare wheel well is the ONLY place on the shell with any sign of corrosion, remarkable when you think that it has been sat outside, uncovered, full of water and in all weathers for an awfully long time! The rust was literally only on the surface (where the paint had gone a bit flaky) and has now been treated, awaiting paint.
I had a really interesting conversation with messenger this morning and he reliably informs me that a Mustang oil pick up pipe is not the same as a 260, but he has graciously offered to obtain one and all of the other sump parts for me. Tonybubble has also come forward with contact details of somewhere where I can obtain the pipe. That's the beauty of being on here, always plenty of willing people ready to help, thanks guys! I will post some more shots soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corin Pics 004.jpg (141.7 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg Corin Pics 005.jpg (139.2 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg 05 001.jpg (138.7 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg 05 004.jpg (134.3 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg 05 005.jpg (139.1 KB, 462 views)
Old 12th May 2011, 21:47   #15
MisterTomez
Gets stuck in

'00 BMW 535i Auto M-Sport, '99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

I think what you are doing is absolutely fantastic and I envy your determination with it. All the very best with it, I'll be watching with fascination.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Trimmed like a first class cabin on the Titanic...before it sank." ---------- "The LPG'd, civilized psychopath."
MisterTomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 21:58   #16
Avid contributor

Next instalment then, Interior showing rotten wiring loom and heater, unfortunately all items unserviceable. Interior now stripped and thoroughly cleaned ready for installation of donor parts from 577. I have just noticed a difference, 05 being an early Pro Drive car has a different gearchange tunnel, a plate was obviously bolted on here, whereas 577 has a proper bespoke top plate formed as part of the tunnel, a quick mod required here then! I am now busy murdering 577 and removing plenty of pieces, the wiring harness is the last item to remove now, but one of the first parts to install. I will post some more as soon as re-assembly begins

Thanks for the heads up and your best wishes martynp I will give them a call, Dorchester is not too far away from me. I know that messenger has an awful lot of the parts that I am going to need, but it will be good to have a back-up for anything he hasn't got. cheers, John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynp View Post
My misunderstanding then 75.0
My best wishes in both of your endeavours! Looking forward to progress reports----

By the way, just been looking at ebay car breakers
The one in Dorchester Tel.No 01305 266302, ebay name 2010dcs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 007.jpg (137.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 05 012.jpg (135.3 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 05 014.jpg (134.6 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by Dragrad; 21st October 2012 at 03:58.. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 13th May 2011, 06:53   #17
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Good luck with it..... having seen the ZTT first hand, I think you've got your work cut out.....

The tourer had (from memory) Sat Nav fitted, and the loom is different to the saloon one at the boot end, as it's slightly longer and picks up the GPS and AM/FM signals from different locations.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 10:47   #18
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Better a long cable than short one

If the intention is to keep the OEM CD changer you can actually pull back the seven related wires as they go all the way up the loom to the dash and back again to the changer in the boot daft but that is the way they did it!

There is or was a place selling some stuff up assemblies if you need them (built front and rear subframes etc) in Cheshire but I can't remember what they are called at the moment.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 23:40   #19
Avid contributor

Thanks Greeners, I know it's a lot of work but I took on the project knowing what was involved, fortunately I'm used to this kind of work and I actually quite enjoy it. Thanks also for the info on the sat nav loom, i have measured it up and I can re-route it quite neatly, just got to chat up messenger now for a high line rear screen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Good luck with it..... having seen the ZTT first hand, I think you've got your work cut out.....

The tourer had (from memory) Sat Nav fitted, and the loom is different to the saloon one at the boot end, as it's slightly longer and picks up the GPS and AM/FM signals from different locations.
Cheers for the info Keith, I'll mod that loom also. Please let me know who this company is when you remember, Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Better a long cable than short one

If the intention is to keep the OEM CD changer you can actually pull back the seven related wires as they go all the way up the loom to the dash and back again to the changer in the boot daft but that is the way they did it!

There is or was a place selling some stuff up assemblies if you need them (built front and rear subframes etc) in Cheshire but I can't remember what they are called at the moment.

Last edited by Dragrad; 21st October 2012 at 03:57.. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 14th May 2011, 09:46   #20
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75.0 View Post
Thanks Greeners, I know it's a lot of work but I took on the project knowing what was involved, fortunately I'm used to this kind of work and I actually quite enjoy it. Thanks also for the info on the sat nav loom, i have measured it up and I can re-route it quite neatly, just got to chat up messenger now for a high line rear screen!
Only a minor thing, but the connectors are different on the coax. The tourer uses a fin for the GPS and the sakloon uses a receiver under tyhe rear shelf.

HTH
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote