Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:53   #33
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
You have led a fascinating and active work life. Your photos inspired me to post up the Loch Fyne visit, thank you. I never had the chance to visit the Falklands before I hung up my boots, but have been to BATSUB in Belize to do an air ambulance, a Medi-Vac back to RAF Valley. I enjoyed looking at your maritime photos and reading the stories behind them. Please do keep them coming.
Many thanks. I consider myself very lucky to have visited so many countries, and met so many wonderful people during my time at sea. I have to say that my eleven years in the Falklands and South Georgia were extremely pleasant. (Apart from the not occasional bad weather.) Working with the Tri-Services was so refreshing in comparison to the commercial sector. The men and women were a pleasure to work with, and we all mucked in together to get the jobs done.

As a youngster "The Tales of Para Handy" was one of my favourite TV series, and it was a pleasant surprise to see the Vital Spark in your photograph of Loch Fyne. It is a pleasing, well composed image, and cleaned up very well.

Cheers, Jim
----------------
Cargoes for the radar sites etc were lifted off by the "Wokka" (Chinook). There were dangers of static discharges, so the "hooker" would be lowered down to ensure that it was done safely.

After the discharge was complete he was lifted back off again.

Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote