Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2017, 10:48   #1
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Lightbulb KV6 Camshaft Drive Tensioner Quality Issues LHB101630 or LHB101631 – Heads Up

While replacing the belts of a KV6 recently I found that a newly supplied non genuine tensioner had an issue with its fitting and operation which required some modifications in order to function correctly. This non genuine tensioner may be commonly supplied from a number of Rover or Landrover retailers.
Immediately upon removing the tensioner from the sealed bag I noticed that the spacer washer on the back side was too large for the bolt that passed through it. However, I tried fitting the new tensioner to the engine to check its function. Once fitted and torqued up I found that the tensioner was reluctant to move back and forth without some considerable force. The tensioner was removed again and inspected. It was noted that the inner pivot spacer tube which runs through the bore of the tensioner had contacted the load bearing washer but was not contacting fully perhaps by only 2/3 of the circumference. I then took the original washer from the original INA tensioner along with the inner pivot tube and fitted to the new tensioner body. Again the bolt was torqued up, and it was now found that the tensioner was moving back and forth with ease with only light resistance and no axial movement on the tensioner. I was much more comfortable with this arrangement and completed the job successfully.
Perhaps there would have been no issue fitting the new assembly complete. However, I feel the thrust washer ID is too large to effectively take the full 360deg load from the inner pivot spacer tube. The inner pivot spacer tube could perhaps could stand an extra .001” or two along its length to allow the tensioner to rotate back and forth without too much binding or resistance.
The learning for me was just to remphasise that a brand new replacement part should not always be assumed to fit first time, but with some careful fettling can be made right in the end. The worrying part is that when you put your car in the hands of professionals they don’t normally have the time or inclination to put it right and may fit without a care.
Attached below schematic demonstrating the issue. Also attached a photo of the original tensioner removed and the new tensioners thrust washer fitted showing indentations from the inner pivot spacer tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KV6 Tensioner Schematic.JPG (108.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.jpg (128.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.jpg (128.1 KB, 52 views)
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 11:24   #2
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Good post Something to be aware of !
Did the part you bought have a brand name ?
Old 26th January 2017, 11:38   #3
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Good post Something to be aware of !
Did the part you bought have a brand name ?
The usual nameless parts.
Old 26th January 2017, 17:33   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I note you don't actually name the supplier you purchased the part from.

If a reputable company they really need to know about this fault.

The working tolerance for the tensioner is built into the length of the inner spacer.
The washer in question is there simply for the spacer tube to butt against.
Any compression of this washer will reduce the working clearance of the tensioner by the same amount. Therefore the design should make it impossible to crush this washer.

As you have found, the inner spacer should but Full Face against this washer.
Not so much bad design but thoughtless packaging perhaps when, maybe, somebody thought---A washer is a washer so what has the hole size to do with it ???

It could easily catch out most garage mechanics whose job is to fit things and not re-design them as they go along.

Very useful post. Well done for reporting it.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 26th January 2017 at 19:16..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 18:13   #5
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

Good post, hopefully might save a member fitting this wrong.

I have always gone for INA one that looks identical to the one fitted at the factory. Xpart supply a version of a slightly different shape which I opted against fitting. See attached pic that shows new INA, Xpart and Original (correctly set)

It is also worthy to remind those who replace these that they do not come set and require adjustment and tightened of the pulley retaining bolt. See official instructions from INA, attached PDF below image.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-02-001.jpg (133.9 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INA 0034.pdf (316.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by jn12; 26th January 2017 at 18:15..
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 19:16   #6
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I note you don't actually name the supplier you purchased the part from.

If a reputable company they really need to know about this fault.

The working tolerance for the tensioner is built into the length of the inner spacer.
The washer in question is there simply for the spacer tube to but against.
Any compression of this washer will reduce the working clearance of the tensioner by the same amount. Therefore the design should make it impossible to crush this washer.

As you have found, the inner spacer should but Full Face against this washer.
Not so much bad design but thoughtless packaging perhaps when, maybe, somebody thought---A washer is a washer so what has the hole size to do with it ???

It could easily catch out most garage mechanics whose job is to fit things and not re-design them as they go along.

Very useful post. Well done for reporting it.---
Even with the correct sized washer fitted and torqued up to the new tensioner it was very tight to move in my opinion. I fitted the inner spacer tube from the old tensioner and with that torqued up had nice sliding fit tensioner movement with no axial play.