Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2017, 18:16   #51
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagorum View Post
My headlights were slightly clouded/yellowing. Cleaned them yesterday with toothpaste and soft toothbrush. Not perfect, but a vast improvement. Total cost £2 and I've got loads of paste and a toothbrush left for next time!
Toothpaste is a fine abrasive - so OK on that, but you are not trying to clean them, you are trying to polish them, to lightly abrade the surface away - so a toothbrush is the wrong implement for that. Use a soft cloth, maybe slightly dampened.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 12:28   #52
Rovex
Regular poster

ZT-T+ CDTi

Just a vote for the 3M kit. I used one on my ZT-T 15 months ago and found it gave a great result. I left the bumper on the car, masked off the surrounding paintwork and polished the lights with a cordless drill on low speed.

My car lives outside so has been exposed to a fair bit of weather since polishing and the lights still look good, plus I have enough left in the kit to polish them again in future if needs be.
Rovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 13:38   #53
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

I used a Meguairs Headlight Restoration Kit on my ZT-T and I am very pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170730_131321.jpg (142.9 KB, 16 views)
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 20:01   #54
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

I have used the Autoglym kit with excellent results but it was very time consuming . My friend has just done his headlights with a product called Formula 1 headlight restorer (yellow bottle) - a wipe on wipe off product. He swears by it. Will borrow it and try it on my other car and let you know.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 10:59   #55
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrenn View Post
I have used the Autoglym kit with excellent results but it was very time consuming . My friend has just done his headlights with a product called Formula 1 headlight restorer (yellow bottle) - a wipe on wipe off product. He swears by it. Will borrow it and try it on my other car and let you know.
I would be wary of any product which was instant, all it can do is fill in the tiny scratches, to make it appear clear. You can get an almost similar effect just wetting the lens, but it doesn't last long.

The only sure longer lasting effect, is the use of a fine abrasive, of which several have been suggested, but then 'something' needs to be applied will prevent their future degradation occurring, something UV proof.

I polish mine up each year, not fully, because can only do it so many times before the lens material gets too thin. If I find something UV proof, then I will give them a proper, thorough polish up. Would the clear lacquer as used by car body painters work without damaging the lens, I wonder?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 13:49   #56
fega72
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Would the clear lacquer as used by car body painters work without damaging the lens, I wonder?
I used 2k clear on my Mercedes headlights - no damage at all
fega72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:05   #57
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

i bought a dad6 polisher a while ago to do a full car polish...

wet sand with wet and dry then polish with meguiars ultimate compound then wax polish,
came out very good...
Billyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:48   #58
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

People should read better.

The "perfect" fix to restore properly is to sand down to polycarbonate, and re-spray with 2k UV resistant clear coat, just like the factory.

Having done it myself, if you do it a certain way, you can get the lens looking like it just came out of the factory.

You need to just mask off the front, spray liberally, orange peel doesnt matter, with a nice thick coat you can flat back, and because you have a nice ridge all the way around where the new coat meets the old near the corners, you can smooth down with sandpaper, and because its clear, it seamlessly blends into the original coat.

I made the mistake of trying to coat the whole lens (like factory) and you just get overspray that wont fix and look nice.

Front only, then smooth the step, works BEAUTIFULLY.

There is a German 2Pack coating, thats £16, and is the best. WEAR a mask though.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 13:00   #59
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Another vote for the 3M kit.
Simple to use, works very well and gives a perfect, as new finish. Did mine over two years ago and they're still as good as new. I give them a treatment of Meguires Headlamp Protectant every time I polish/wax the car and it has kept them perfect.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 18:02   #60
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

Tried the Formula 1 headlight restorer, decent result, front headlights done in 15 mins. Not as good as polishing with a restoration kit but a big improvement. How long it will last is anyone's guess, but for those who don't have much time it is a good choice. That said, for a perfect finish sanding and polishing is best.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote